The Dark Mod Forums

Task: Set Up Moveables

Ishtvan

Well they'd use the bounding box against everything in the world first, and only do poly to poly collision with the objects colliding with the bb. The 16 face limit is probably some fast cool speed optimisation, that they use tricky computer math to solve quickly. The number 16 makes me suspect that :)

As if you'd be moving a couch anyway. The only situations I can think of are removalists, or some explosion big enough to damage the floor and walls, which we already don't expect to happen anyway.

Btw, I know I said we wouldn't tweak any of the physics now, but the default D3 bouncyness is WAY too bouncy. I think maybe I'll lower it to something more reasonable on the default moveable that stuff inherits from. Aside from that, any progress on obtaining moveable crates? :)

Btw, I know I said we wouldn't tweak any of the physics now, but the default D3 bouncyness is WAY too bouncy. I think maybe I'll lower it to something more reasonable on the default moveable that stuff inherits from. Aside from that, any progress on obtaining moveable crates? :)

They're already there though. This is the list of current moveables as taken from tdm_moveables.def:

entityDef atdm:moveable_crate01
entityDef atdm:moveable_crate02
entityDef atdm:moveable_crate03
entityDef atdm:moveable_misc_barrel_barrel01
entityDef atdm:moveable_plank_short
entityDef atdm:moveable_plank_long
entityDef atdm:moveable_plank_longer
entityDef atdm:moveable_bookt1
entityDef atdm:moveable_kitchen_wbottle01
entityDef atdm:moveable_dining_chair2
entityDef atdm:moveable_candle1
entityDef atdm:moveable_candle2
entityDef atdm:moveable_broken_arrow_tip
entityDef atdm:moveable_broken_arrow_back

Perhaps we should make a list for all this crap and keep track which need to be done etc.

That was how Brian @ Id suggested doing the CMs, so he at least thinks it works. Haven't tried it personally, but I'm pretty sure BT has tried it and said it worked. I'd say see how accurate you can get with a brush, and if it's not a tight enough fit around the model, go for the modeling method.

I would much rather do it with a model than a brush, if it works. Do we have documentation on how to do it this way? I can't quite see how the stuff about converting to func_clipmodel and exporting as CM would work if the clipmodel is part of the mesh.

@Dram: The crates are there, but they don't work. If you try to spawn them the map crashes when it tries to load the CM. Our cubical crates have too many polies to work as a clipmodel for a moveable <_< (I checked it out and apparently they have some extra polies at the seams of the faces to make it look more believable or something)

@OrbWeaver: I don't know what steps are necessary beyond just putting it in the model and texturing it with common/clip (or common/collision, can never remember which). Dram has done it before though, so maybe he can tell us.

Yeah I did it in milkshape. Simply made a nice box to fit the arrow broken bits and textured it clipmodel. Worked beautifully. I actually thought this was the only way lol.

@Ish: I'll make clipmodels for the crates now.

Everything on that list is busted, IIRC (posted in another thread, somewhere).

As far as clip within model, I thought I remembered the dining chair at one point having a rough greenish box of triangles within it. And now it doesn't. And it isn't moveable.

What happened? I think this was BT's model.

Yeah BT added them for his models afaik. Well whatever, I'll open every model up and give it a collision file. We should put a notice in the modellers section to tell them to please do it for their future models, makes things easier.

Come to thinki of it, I'll try an experiment >:) - monsterclip on a model and see if they avoid it.

• 2 weeks later...

Btw, to avoid confusion, added to the CVS version:

crate01

crate02

crate03

These were brushes and I'm no expert brush-maker, so it's possible these could be done better with a shell in the model itself.

Also, the models crate02 and crate03 both need their origin moved in to the center of the model. Crate02 is marginally okay, but crate03 has an origin way outside the model, which makes it spin in screwed up ways when you throw it because most physics forces are applied to the origin. Also it's bad for frobbing to have the origin so outside the model.