The Dark Mod Forums

City Concepts - Buildings

kfmccall

I moved all the city-environment concepts into a single thread for easier accessibility, they seemed to be a bit

scattered throughout the forums. I've also added another house concept and a possible guard house.

Suggestions are welcome.

Environment Concepts

DM_Street8.jpg

DM_Street9_l.JPG

DM_Street10_s.jpg

DM_Street11.JPG

Individual Buildings

3-Story Home

TudorHouse_1.JPG

Backview

TudorHouse_2_f.jpg

2-Story Home with large attic space.

Tudor_3.JPG

Guard House

Tudor_guardh_1.JPG

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good concepts. A lot of those houses seem to be small, tight quarters, though -- which would make me kind've claustrophobic after a short while. For example, that tavern Dram created based from Spring's concept was kind've cramped inside. It's okay to have a few of those small houses, but I think it'd get repetitious to have so many of them. Granted, the concepts are maybe just for beta mappers... but if we ever release a more in-depth level, I hope mappers be careful with all the smallness.

I probably wouldn't notice if it I hadn't tried the Thief 2 fan mission called: UNE NUIT A ROCKSBOURG, Episode 1. All the hallways, stairways, houses, rooms, city streets/alleys, distances between houses, etc. are very tight/cramped so far from what I've played. I had to stop playing because it bothered me so much. It's a good quality production otherwise; I just got annoyed by all the tight quarters... which several of your concepts are reminiscent of.

Just my opinion, but maybe something to be mindful of in future concepts.

I actually don't know if this is something you'd need to worry about, or the mappers... or neither/both, considering we're just doing test maps. But if it ever goes beyond small test maps, I hope the size of most buildings are enlarged a bit.

I like the idea of rough sketch in diffrent, subtle colour. I just wonder what would your drawings look like if you used dark red or some kind of brown colour instead of blue... Have you ever tried to change this colour?

BTW: Could I post some of your sketches in polish Thief-Forum, in the thread dedicated to Dark Mod?

PinkDot wrote (aimed @ KF): I like the idea of rough sketch in diffrent, subtle colour. I just wonder what would your drawings look like if you used dark red or some kind of brown colour instead of blue...

Why have you wondered this? Just seems like an odd question to ask. Adjusting the colors in Photoshop would make them red/brown :)

I don't see a problem with it. NH? What do you think? :)

I don't see why not either, considering models and screenshots go out without second thought, as well as many concept pieces posted on our home page. I'm not going to hide my concept art when what we're doing is volunteer-work and I can use the pieces to help expand my portfolio and make a name for myself. (Unless there's ever a piece in particular where someone says 'do not release yet'. But I can't imagine when that would ever justifiably happen...)

If the concepts are for upcoming maps, we should not release them all, and also it would be fine if we don't release everything at once, so we have something to show for times where we don't have so much. Principally you can do whatever you like with it and if it attracts ohter poeple who might help us, all the better. :)

Gerhard

If we were still working on a proprietary campaign and maps for that, then I agree there'd need to be some secrecy surrounding that. But for test maps and other stuff we're working on now? I'm not sure why there'd be a need to be secretive at all. Everyone's seen a tavern, house, city street or mansion before...

I know that some people on the forum don't read many threads. So it may have escaped some people that we plan to release a playbale testmap in about two months and that the current concepts are helping to create it.

As I said I have no problem with releasing the concepts, but I think concepts that are used for such maps should rather be released when or after we released the maps.

Gerhard

I don't mind personally

Thanks!

If the concepts are for upcoming maps, we should not release them all, and also it would be fine if we don't release everything at once, so we have something to show for times where we don't have so much.

As far as I'm up-to-date, that mission will take place in mansion and builder's forge. (which concepts I've seen and admired as well :) ). So I would like to put some of city concepts (for example first four from this thread). Is that OK?

Principally you can do whatever you like with it and if it attracts ohter poeple who might help us, all the better.

the purpose is at least to eliminate all doubting Thomases... ;)

Here's the link to my post with your drawings (My nick is 'Juliusz'). The post is in the main thread dedicated to The Dark Mod.

http://thief-forum.ehost.pl/viewtopic.php?p=61986#61986

If for some reason you have problems with understanding polish language ;), I can translate people's opinions.

Here is another tudor styled house. This one is atleast 3 stories (not including the attic), if the lowest story is a higher than usual roof. I'll work on some weather-torn buildings next.

VERY nice KF, I especially like the little wooden balcony thing you put there :)

thanks dram. I'm always open to architectural suggestions, really even a few words about some added aspect of the building that you may have in mind will undoubtedly spark a bunch of visuals for me to work with.

everyone should feel free to throw in their opinion. i'm hardly the architect, so criticize my drawings and maybe i'll get there a little bit quicker. :)

really though, i thrive on my mistakes.