The Dark Mod Forums

City Concepts - Buildings

kfmccall

Thanks NH, you've been more than helpful :D , i've just spent a good part of today doing some research into exactly how the timber framed houses are built, I didnt find a hell of a lot. If anyone has any info on this it would be realy helpfu, le.g... Foundation, fixings, materials. I did manage to find this image of a damaged wall which will make a great reference for the high poly models :)

I'd also like to know about texture resolution, are we keeping it standard doom3 sizes?

ist21992895timberframedcf0.th.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks NH, you've been more than helpful :D , i've just spent a good part of today doing some research into exactly how the timber framed houses are built, I didnt find a hell of a lot. If anyone has any info on this it would be realy helpfu, le.g... Foundation, fixings, materials. I did manage to find this image of a damaged wall which will make a great reference for the high poly models :)

I'd also like to know about texture resolution, are we keeping it standard doom3 sizes?

ist21992895timberframedcf0.th.jpg

For the most part, we're sticking with standard doom 3 sizes, but don't worry too much about it. Just go ahead and make things a fair size. 1024 x 1024 TGA is genearlly our max size for source textures, then our texture department will convert them to .dds and we save the original in our hi-res repository for release in a separate "high quality" patch for the mod. :)

sounds great :D , before I start I probably should ask what sort of poly restriction's you have in place. I can imagine some of these buildings will be in open areas.

poly counts is something you have to experiment with yourself when modelling. I've made buildings (based on kfmccall concepts) with poly counts ranging from 1000 to 3000 poly's. These were fairly simple models using a combination of brushes and static models. Lot's of details can be done thru normal mapping and textures.

poly counts is something you have to experiment with yourself when modelling. I've made buildings (based on kfmccall concepts) with poly counts ranging from 1000 to 3000 poly's. These were fairly simple models using a combination of brushes and static models. Lot's of details can be done thru normal mapping and textures.

ok thanks squill, it looks like you're already underway with these buildings so i'll start on the castle instead. Those are some great screens of your map on the site, I mean the layout looks good but I think they could do with a few distressed looking textures/models. If you need any help like a specific texture or model just let me know, i'd love to help out :)

Yeah, our models are looking great, but we definitely need more in the dirt and grime area.

ok thanks squill, it looks like you're already underway with these buildings so i'll start on the castle instead. Those are some great screens of your map on the site, I mean the layout looks good but I think they could do with a few distressed looking textures/models. If you need any help like a specific texture or model just let me know, i'd love to help out :)

feel free to make your own buildings like castle's, houses whatever. Let your imagination flow because like Springheel said we can use more.

i believe i saw your postings over at doom3world with some building models which looked very impressive, i'm looking forward to see what you can come up with ;)

i love the kind of "nature is taking over" thing with plants covering buildings and rocks laying around. Giving your models a dirty/overgrown look will definitely help.