The Dark Mod Forums

Using Lw To View Uvmap?

Springheel

I assume there is a way to use lightwave to view a model's uvmap, but I can't find the right command for it. Assuming it is possible, is there also a way to view the flattened map? I'm trying to see if Odd's spiderlow.lwo model is uvmapped or not. If it is, I'd like to try making a texture for it, since it already has some animations and we could probably get it into the game without much fuss.

But I know squat about making uvmaps, or even how to look at them.

Do you mean LSCM?

I can look at an LWO in Blender and tell if it definitely is UV-mapped, although I don't have sufficient confidence in the import script to declare that it isn't (since it may have one, but the script failed to import it).

Ok, thanks, I was able to confirm it is uv-mapped and took a look at it.

One other thing that is perplexing though. Right now the spider has a specific normalmap made from the highpoly version, but just a generic flat texture applied to it right now. When I load it in the editor, the texture shows up everywhere on the model--but only in camera mode. When I switch to renderview, the body appears black, along with parts of the feet.

spider.jpg

The texture is just a full square, so it's not an issue of things being outside the bounds of the normalmap. I've found another model a few days ago that did the same thing--looked fine in cam mode but black in renderview (though can't remember which one now).

Any ideas what might cause that?

Post the normal map image, I can't remember what it looks like. I'll bet that there is grey space where the spider body should be. I think I didn't normal map the body becasue there was no detail on it anyway.

If that is the case, then just paint bucket fill the grey parts of the image with 'normal map blue'.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

What does LSCM mean?

Least Squares Conformal Map (also Laser Scanning Confocal Microscopy). It has something to do with the algorithm and the way it tries to preserve local angles.

Cool spider BTW, I have made several attempts to model a spider in Blender but never quite managed to get the proportions right.

Ok, I took a screenshot of the UVmap and put over top of the existing bumpmap for the spider, and it looks like this:

spidertexture.jpg

Is this how it should look? It doesn't appear to me like it is lining up properly.

There's probably more thna one normal map. Some of the objects are so high poly I break them down and noraml map them in separate secitons and then put them together in photoshop. I really can't rmeber though, I did a lot of normal mapping and this one was over a year ago, check to see of you can other spider normal maps, or resize the leg uv parts to fit better over the leg normal map section. The head is ok there, and the body didn't have any detail, so it just has to be blue.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site