The Dark Mod Forums

Main Menu --progress Update

sparhawk

S'all good. I actually known how to implement the scrollDef.. I just can't figure out how to get binddefs in the scroll def, or if it's even possible. They don't do it in the menu so I dunno if it's even feasible. Since I could fit the options without em I figured not to worry about it

I think maybe he means scrolldef since I have functioning sliderDef in the Menu.

I'm not quite sure about the difference. I'm talking about a slider like in this image:

shot001021ll.jpg

I hadn't noticed one in our menu. We will definitely need something like that, since we're eventually going to have a lot more options than will fit on the page.

He did say he had it working, but he never uploaded a version with it. It seems possible, though, so hopefully we can figure it out.

I don't know, I can play around with it more if we can't find another way. The issue I ran into with my earlier tests was that all the lists ingame connect to things outside the .gui that are based in the sdk. from the things I've read (it's hard to find good info on .guis :-/) it seems as if the code only lists where the information in the scrollDef comes from, not specific code. Still I'm sure some implementation can be worked out if theres that many more buttons. I'de still just as soon make one more submenu and not have the scrolls though :)

Well, even if we can't get the actual slider working, we'll need to implement the up and down arrows so that you can scroll down a list--we'll easily have twice as many keybinds as are there currently.

The things that still need to be done, as I see it:

1. Graphic issues (which I'll handle)

2. Creating a custom cursor.

3. Activating up/down buttons*

4. Activating slider for lengthy lists

5. New Game menu (when concept is done)

6. Load/Save Game menu (after save error is sorted out)

7. Proper credits (which I'll handle)

8. Start adding specific TDM features to Gameply/Controls menus

If you could try sorting out 2, 3 and 4 for the time being, that would be great.

* If there's no slider, it might not be obvious to players that the flourishes on the side are buttons. I think I'll create a highlighted graphic to display on a Mouseover so that it's more clear. I'll link them here when they're ready.

It's actually turning out to be a little harder than I thought to get the effect I want for the arrows. I'll let you know when I'm done.

BTW, did you essentially transfer over all the D3 settings options? If so, there's really no reason I can't upload the menu to CVS.

all d3 options should be there except EAX HD 4.0 Sound (Im looking for the code for it but its greyed out in my menu. Also the settings that usually require restart dont give you a warning yet, they just wont respond untill you restart. Besides that the settings should be totally functioning.

Also FYI the scrollDef is what you want. A sliderDef is what is used for say, the brightness meter or volume. A scrollDef is the little updownscrolly bar

Ok, thanks. I've noticed a couple minor things that I'd like to fix but don't know how. I've noticed that when you play the credits, that music continues even after you leave the credit screen. Do you know how to fix that?

Also, when you come back to the main menu after playing the game for a bit, it cycles very quickly through the character images, as if time has been playing all along and it's trying to catch up. Is there a simple way to make sure time starts at 0 whenever the menu is called?

BTW, here is the graphics for the up and down arrows. They're designed to fit exactly above the verticle bar on the side for the mouseOver effect. That should make it clear that they're buttons. (BTW, ARE they scroll buttons yet, or does that functionality need to be added?)

up_arrow

down_arrow

Hmm, the time should reset but maybe I didnt code it in, thats easy to fix tho. As for the music, that shouldnt be the case, when I play it the music changes when going into credits and when you exit reutnrs to the normal. I'm not sure what could cause the discrepancy, but I guess we aught to figure it out. THere is no scroll functionality yet, but I also want to talk about that. Maybe we can discuss things sometime on the IRC channel, I'm free over the christmas vacation excluding a some other work, but I should be around

The menu is working nicely, but there are still things that need to be fixed.

Here are some known problems I'd like your help with:

1. The Carelton font in the settings options looks awful. We're going to have to see about adding a bold version of the font.

How do we go about importing a bold Carelton font? I think that's what needs to be done, because the current font looks very poor unless you make the text quite large, and we can't do that for the settings.

2. When you come back to the menu after playing a map, the character graphics overlap and go by very quickly as if they're trying to catch up with the sequence.

Any idea why that might be? When you come back from playing a map the time doesn't reset to 0, so all of the images that have gone by during that time show up at the same time. Do we just need to be a resetTime 0 line in the main windowDef?

3. The "These changes will not take effect until you restart D3" message does not come up.

I'll make a separate scroll image for this one--we just need code to make the image pop up.

4. The credit music definitely continues once you return to the Main Menu. I tried playing around with a few of the settings but haven't been able to fix it yet.

I'll upload the updated mainmenu files to the ftp. We definitely need to get your CVS working again.

edit: it's guis/mainmenu12-06.rar

Hmmm, I'll take a look with the music and see if I can't fix whatever it is. The code for the settings effects should just be pasting in a couple lines, shouldn't take too long. Restettime will probably be the easiest fix since I don't fully know what the problem is and that will most likely fix it regardless.

Try to keep track of exactly what changes you're making. Until we can get you hooked up to CVS again, I'll have to merge all your changes manually.

The version on the FTP I mentioned above is pretty accurate. The only thing I've done since then is modify the text of the credit window slightly and add names to the weapons in the control menu.

I've only seen this once, so maybe better to report it here than in a bug thread: I started up D3, hit ESC to see the menu, didn't hear any music so I went to credits (that seemed to start it before) and upon doing so, the theme from the first trailer started playing (the TYROT one). However, at maybe halfway through, it got completely cut off, and amb_nocturne_musicbox.ogg started playing instead.

Usually I'd heard amb_nocturne_musicbox.ogg (:wub:) as the menu theme... maybe going to credits screwed something up, and then going back cut it off, but at the wrong time.

Edit: Nope, it's reproducable. Start up DoomEd, hit F2 to go to game mode. At that point, my setup is at a console. I hit ESC to show the menu. Wait and wait, music never starts. Go to credits, let TYROT's song start, then Back to get out of credits. Keep letting it play TYROT's theme. A short bit after the distorted guitars start, it cuts off abruptly and changes to amb_nocturne_musicbox.ogg.

Yeah, the credit music is interfering with the other one for some reason. Napalm is looking into it.

You shouldn't need to hit esc to see the menu though.... :huh:

edit: Oh, you're going in through the editor? Not sure about what effect that might have.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

The credits music keeps playing when you exit the credit screen.

Fixed.