The Dark Mod Forums

Thief Books?

Ombrenuit

I'm sure this question was raised in TTLG (currently down), but I'll be brief. I'm looking for something to hold me off essentially until college starts. Are there any books that really capture the essence and atmosphere of Thief? Or books with that contain that general material? Is there anything that can be recommended?

A few months ago I read "Ranger's Apprentice: The Ruins of Gorlan" - very Thiefy and good fun book, though aimed at young adult audience (still fun for adults to read, just more simple plot mechanics, vocab, etc). I highly recommend it for Thief fans. :)

There are two more books in the series as well, but I haven't read those

- here is a link to the book on Amazon (not that I'm saying you should buy it - just look it up at your local library)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039924454...ce&n=283155

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

A few months ago I read "Ranger's Apprentice: The Ruins of Gorlan" - very Thiefy and good fun book, though aimed at young adult audience (still fun for adults to read, just more simple plot mechanics, vocab, etc). I highly recommend it for Thief fans. :)

There are two more books in the series as well, but I haven't read those

- here is a link to the book on Amazon (not that I'm saying you should buy it - just look it up at your local library)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039924454...ce&n=283155

As surprising as it sounds, my little sister owns this book (which is probably one of the reasons it was easily dismissed upon a cursory glance)

Ive said this here before but it's worth repeating: Read the works of H.P. Lovecraft. It doesnt have much to do with Thievery but it has a crapload of great ideas for dark, haunted places or horrible monsters. No one can set up a mood of horror like Lovecraft. I've yet to find a modern horror writer that can consistently do what he did. Its not to say that there arent flaws but they pale next to the twisted images that will dance in your head.