The Dark Mod Forums

Big Thug

ascottk

thug_big_wip.jpg

He needs a lot of texture work but he can be a base for the generic AI so we can start adding attachments. He'll be versatile with no built-in armor, belts, or other things that can make him distinguishable (aside from the short sleeves). Another generic character is planned for conversion that's even less distinguishable.

He may look low poly now but with attachments & different skins he can be a chameleon.

Okay:

thug_face_uv.jpg

thug_head_h.jpg

thug_upper_uv.jpg

thug_lower_uv.jpg

The upper body's a little funky. The lower part of the upper front body actually is the lower part of the back & vise versa (I tweaked the UVs when I didn't know any better :blush: ). I fixed some major uvw problems but this is the major one.

The last one's the legs & feet if you didn't notice ;)

No problem. I'm working on a skin for the proguard right now, but after that I'll have a shot at this one.

I can see you've used an extracted T3 model as a template for this, but we're really trying to get away from the T3 look.

What happened tot he thug BlackThief made?

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I can see you've used an extracted T3 model as a template for this, but we're really trying to get away from the T3 look.
I'm still tweaking, I hate the T3 look, & these were designed to get away from the T3 look.

I updated the upper body uv so I replaced the image at the top of this post (refresh your browser if you don't see it. It should have a dark blue background).

squawks is an amazing modeler. It would be good if she ended up doing both the male and female templates. I know you guys want to get things done in a hurry but you won't get as far away from the T3 look by tweaking as you would modelling from scratch. See what she can come up soon with I guess.

What happened tot he thug BlackThief made?

Someone (Diego?) made a low-poly thug a while back--I don't think the mesh was very detailed, but the head was good.

Yeah, it was Diego--I found the thread. It was actually in much better condition than I remembered.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showt...=1035&st=25

I think I may even have it on FTP somewhere. It actually looks quite good and would be very handy to use for generic townsfolk.

One thing I'm confused about, however...if it's possible to take a T3 character and the nobleman and give them the same joints as the other AI so they can share our animations, does that mean it's also possible to do that for the thug and the houseguard? Both of those models are better done than the nobleman, and it would be a shame to waste them.

One thing I'm confused about, however...if it's possible to take a T3 character and the nobleman and give them the same joints as the other AI so they can share our animations, does that mean it's also possible to do that for the thug and the houseguard? Both of those models are better done than the nobleman, and it would be a shame to waste them.
That's the plan, Stan. Although the house guard didn't have any mesh (or else it's somewhere else on ftp).

That's great! :)

I'll look around for the thug--I'm almost certain he's on FTP. With a different head he could be all kinds of generic characters, though he'll need some textures.

With the houseguard, I'm not sure--those files were what Corth sent me after his HD crash, so I'm not sure if there's anything else on the FTP, but I'll have a look.

I found only two thug files on the FTP. thug.max and thug.3DS, both in the models folder. I don't know what they are.

That's great! :)

I'll look around for the thug--I'm almost certain he's on FTP. With a different head he could be all kinds of generic characters, though he'll need some textures.

With the houseguard, I'm not sure--those files were what Corth sent me after his HD crash, so I'm not sure if there's anything else on the FTP, but I'll have a look.

I found Diego's thug. There's a high poly & a low poly in the max file but he appears to have no textures.

Good news on the house guard. For some reason the mesh wasn't displaying correctly in the original maya file. It displays in deep exploration but when I view in maya it doesn't show :blink: So I converted it to a max file, did some editing, then converted it back to a maya file so we'll have a house guard eventually :)

Wow, that's awesome news! :) :)

About the thug, yeah, he doesn't have any textures. If someone can uvmap him at some point (no hurry) I'll set about making some textures for him.

Wow, that's awesome news! :) :)

About the thug, yeah, he doesn't have any textures. If someone can uvmap him at some point (no hurry) I'll set about making some textures for him.

He is unwrapped & the labels I placed are pretty accurate:

DiegoThug_uvw.jpg

EDIT: Diego's thug's uvw.

Should I make them look more like legs a guard would be proud of? Or juts use one of oDD's legs from one of his guards?

Whichever makes life easier for you. :) (though I'd love it if the legs were uv-mapped so we could still keep the patch) ;)

I don't know if it's the perspective of that shot, but right now that thug's legs look really short compared to his torso...

Whichever makes life easier for you. :) (though I'd love it if the legs were uv-mapped so we could still keep the patch) ;)
What do you mean? I posted the uv map in the above post:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...ost&p=95122

I don't know if it's the perspective of that shot, but right now that thug's legs look really short compared to his torso...
Long tunic :)

What do you mean? I posted the uv map in the above post:

Are we talking about the thug or the houseguard? You asked whether you should just add Odd's guard legs to the houseguard or modify them yourself--that's what I was referring to when I said whatever is easier for you. :) The houseguard texture has a patch on his knee, which I'd like to be able to keep, however, so if you copy Odd's legs I'd love it (though it's certainly not important) if they could be uvmapped in such a way that we can have a patch on one knee but not the other.

Are we talking about the thug or the houseguard? You asked whether you should just add Odd's guard legs to the houseguard or modify them yourself--that's what I was referring to when I said whatever is easier for you. :) The houseguard texture has a patch on his knee, which I'd like to be able to keep, however, so if you copy Odd's legs I'd love it (though it's certainly not important) if they could be uvmapped in such a way that we can have a patch on one knee but not the other.
Okay, that's Diego's thug uvw I posted. I'll modify the houseguard's legs to keep the uv map.