The Dark Mod Forums

Inventor Engineer

ascottk

Model is getting better and better. Ascott - are you happy with his shoulders and arms? I think they're making the model looks a bit cartoonish (lack of anatomy). Especially that the head looks much more realistic.

Also - apron looks too short comparing with the concept.

Model is getting better and better. Ascott - are you happy with his shoulders and arms? I think they're making the model looks a bit cartoonish (lack of anatomy). Especially that the head looks much more realistic.

Also - apron looks too short comparing with the concept.

If the apron was any longer it'd be a pain to animate. Besides, if I totally went with the concept art, he'd look like a cartoon. Speaking of which, he had some bad food:

post-476-1172104766_thumb.jpg

The head and headgear looks great. :)

Looks like the normals might be reversed though, unless he's got inverted nipples? ;)

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle  *  A Reputation to Uphold  *  A New Job  *  A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules  *  Speedbuild Challenge  *  New Mappers Workshop  *  Building Traps

Yeah, to me they look like inverted holes in his chest, when I assume they're supposed to be metal studs. I'm loving the face, btw. We should definitely have a version without the glasses for use as another nobleman head.

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle  *  A Reputation to Uphold  *  A New Job  *  A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules  *  Speedbuild Challenge  *  New Mappers Workshop  *  Building Traps

Yeah, to me they look like inverted holes in his chest, when I assume they're supposed to be metal studs. I'm loving the face, btw. We should definitely have a version without the glasses for use as another nobleman head.
The glasses are separate via def_attach ;)

I just checked him out. Some of the detailing looks great, like the strips on the side of his belt. But others, like the pockets on the front, are very difficult to see. I think they definitely need to be brought out more.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for fun, I created a little environment for the engineer (click for a 1280x1024 size):

tdm_inventor_engineer_small.jpg

I'm quite proud I made most of this guy from scratch :blush: I'll probably do the same for the belcher (screenshot environment that is).

BTW, PinkDot, the current size of the flash bomb is humongous! I resized it for this screen.

BTW, PinkDot, the current size of the flash bomb is humongous! I resized it for this screen.

Really? What size is it supposed to be?

I might have made it bigger for the player to see it better, but I haven't compared it with AI in game.

I think that some things look better with a bit exaggerated size, cause the player can't come close to anything (because of bounding box, I suppose) and some details can't be seen. But I have to check flashbomb in some map with AI...

Nice screenshot, by the way. It's not Doom's engine, is it? I suppose we don't have that animation...

Really? What size is it supposed to be?

I might have made it bigger for the player to see it better, but I haven't compared it with AI in game.

I think that some things look better with a bit exaggerated size, cause the player can't come close to anything (because of bounding box, I suppose) and some details can't be seen. But I have to check flashbomb in some map with AI...

The flashbomb should fit in the hand. It was about the size of a soccer ball :laugh:

Nice screenshot, by the way. It's not Doom's engine, is it? I suppose we don't have that animation...
Yep, it's Doom 3. I have one omni light above & I think two ambients below then another omni behind him. I made that animation just for the shot.

It is definitely a great shot.

That said, I'm probably going to regret this, but here goes anyway: unfortunately the shot really indicates existing problems with the hands. The sharp angled finger has always seemed too extreme, almost like a hook for no reason (an unnatural position), but I was never sure if to say something, because either a.) it's to be tweaked yet, or b.) it's too late, because it's attached already, or c.) any critique will be misinterpretted as a value judgement. On his left hand, one can see it almost looks like a bumpy glove on up to the fingers, and the outside of the hand and fingertips don't reach the ends of the model.

That said, I'm probably going to regret this, but here goes anyway: unfortunately the shot really indicates existing problems with the hands. The sharp angled finger has always seemed too extreme, almost like a hook for no reason (an unnatural position), but I was never sure if to say something, because either a.) it's to be tweaked yet, or b.) it's too late, because it's attached already, or c.) any critique will be misinterpretted as a value judgement. On his left hand, one can see it almost looks like a bumpy glove on up to the fingers, and the outside of the hand and fingertips don't reach the ends of the model.
I was thinking about redoing those hands anyway. So thanks Sneaksie B) I was originally going to use oDD's pagan hand but I found those difficult to work with. So I imported the hands from one of D3's hands & they're easier to work with but I think they ended up looking below par. After working with these hands for a while I have a better idea of what we'll need.