The Dark Mod Forums

Relics - discuss

Baddcog

Seems these days I think about stuff I want to do/get done for the mod than I actually accomplish.

Anyway, one of the things I've been thinking of and did start a little bit of work on is some relic/artifact type object.

This one is a suprise, basically I plan on making certain pieces in high poly to work on my normal mapping a bit. Then use all these pieces in different combos to make a set of relic/artifacts (loot/quest items - we can't have too many of these imo) from an ancient civilization.

I don't recal anything in the forums about what the ancient civilizations would've been like so I'd like your ideas/comments/suggestions.

I'm already set in stone on the stuff I've started, but other varieties can follow.

This is as much for me as other modelers/texturists as it might give someone else ideas too.

--------

Basically what I'm hitting at is that T1/2 used alot of eqyptian styling in the lost city stuff.

I was scanning the net for images and was thinking that stuff more like american indian, mayan, eskimo would be a cool way to go.

BigCico.JPGnpvol28b.jpgIndian-Whale.jpgpot1.jpgMayanSculpture.jpg

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Hey, BC! I'm half Eskimo (Inupiaq) & I've been involved with Eskimo dancing and my sister's King Island, AK research so I have some relatives who are artists.

http://oregonstate.edu/cla/anthropology/st...iary/index.html

http://oregonstate.edu/cla/anthropology/st...land/diary.html

Some skulls on King Island:

18.jpg

King Island Eskimo drum, a work in progress:

28.jpg

Eskimo Drums in use:

064_054.jpg

A Kayak not skinned yet:

8.jpg

Carving of a seal:

012.jpg

A man with a mask used in dancing:

prayer.jpg

More dancing:

king%20island,%20eagle-wolf%20dancea.jpg

king%20island%20raven%20dancea.jpg

059_022.jpg

I'll post more when I find them!

don't recal anything in the forums about what the ancient civilizations would've been like so I'd like your ideas/comments/suggestions.

Well, the empire the city is part of is kind of 'romanesque' so it would make sense to use early european cultures as reference. Classical greek and mediterranean cultures would also fit.

thanks for sharing the pics ascottk,

I'd like to see the bird mask from more of a front view if you have some pics. The masks are really cool, I think that style would be a cool alternative to the T2 masks.

That cribage board is sweet, walrus tusk eh?

I lived in Ankorage for the summer of '90. Awesome weather. Very cool seeing the sun circle the sky. I left the day of the first big snowstorm (in Ankorage anyway), there was like 3 feet of snow in about an hour. Glad I got out then, wasn't too cold yet. Unfortunately I never got a chance to really see Alaska, spent most of the time in the city.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest