The Dark Mod Forums

long names, wrong texture paths

Baddcog

copper_plates_dirty_tiling_1d_ed.jpg I believe is too long, I was trying to use it and the local for some keys, kept getting missing shader blue in DR. Changed name to this:

copper_plate1d_ed.jpg

It still tells you it's copper plates. If we get another copper plate it could be 02. 1d could be for dirt anyway.

Not sure who made it, what the name length limit is or if it's OK to commit the change. Until then some keys won't be right.

Also, alot of the shaders in tdm_metal_flat.mtr seem to have incorrect path names, or old names from before the tex reorg. Alot of them are named the path, so the name/path won't be the same any more.

I'll clean it up if needed. I still haven't had any luck getting dds paths to work for objects, not sure if these metals are supposed to reference dds or the jpg's and tga's.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

copper_plates_dirty_tiling_1d_ed.jpg I believe is too long, I was trying to use it and the local for some keys, kept getting missing shader blue in DR. Changed name to this:

copper_plate1d_ed.jpg

Does Doom 3 itself handle the longer filename OK?

If so, wouldn't it be better to increase the filename length limit in DR rather than shortening the filename?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

copper_plates_dirty_tiling_1d_ed.jpg I believe is too long, I was trying to use it and the local for some keys, kept getting missing shader blue in DR.

It works fine on my end. The editor image is there.

Changed name to this:

copper_plate1d_ed.jpg

It still tells you it's copper plates. If we get another copper plate it could be 02. 1d could be for dirt anyway.

Not sure who made it, what the name length limit is or if it's OK to commit the change. Until then some keys won't be right.

Please don't change the texture paths/names! We've spent a LOT of time agreeing on a mostly consistent naming convention and even more time on renaming all shaders.

Also, alot of the shaders in tdm_metal_flat.mtr seem to have incorrect path names, or old names from before the tex reorg. Alot of them are named the path, so the name/path won't be the same any more.

Which ones are you referring to?

I still haven't had any luck getting dds paths to work for objects, not sure if these metals are supposed to reference dds or the jpg's and tga's.

The jpg, dds or tga types are guessed automatically by the engine, the filename is enough. I can't see where you stuck in getting the DDS to work, but I'm happy to help you out in getting a certain image in-game, just say the word. I can create the shader for you or check the file format. (It's just a bit unfortunate that we're in so different time-zones.)

Yeah, not going to commit that tex name change, just using it so I can put a material on some objects.

But that's a great place to start. The keys are uploaded, along with skins and materials.

key_simple.ase and skins

door_related.skin

keys.mtr

Just SVN'ed keys.mtr with the default darkmod tex name.

I don't mind the time change, doesn't need fixed at the moment, been trying to work this out for weeks.

----------------

Here's one of the textures, don't want to point out every wrong one right now, need COFFEE!

They look older, gleeful made em

this texture now is

iron_rough_ed and _local as far as I can tell.

// Author: Gleeful
textures/darkmod/metal/flat/tiling_1d/rough_iron01
{
metal

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/metal/flat/rough_iron01_ed_tiling_1d
bumpmap		 textures/darkmod/metal/flat/rough_iron01_local_tiling_1d
diffusemap	  textures/darkmod/metal/flat/rough_iron01_tiling_1d

{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map		 _white
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	map		 textures/darkmod/metal/flat/rough_iron01_tiling_1d
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}
}

tdm_metal_flat.mtr is full of this stuff.

------

Like I said, going for coffeee, will be back later and will try a specific dds tex as I can't remember a specific problem.

The jpg, dds or tga types are guessed automatically by the engine, the filename is enough. I can't see where you stuck in getting the DDS to work, but I'm happy to help you out in getting a certain image in-game, just say the word. I can create the shader for you or check the file format. (It's just a bit unfortunate that we're in so different time-zones.)

Can you (or somebody else then) please convert TGA files to DDS and check the TGA into the hires repository?

I would do this myself, but I am having troubles:

* can't fully check out hires repository, it always gets me "read error" inside some directories

* DDs files for textures (diffuse) work ok on my system, but I seem unable to produce a DDS file for normalmaps that is understood by D3. The normalmap always is just missing. Maybe that is a problem with the Gimp Normalmap pluging, or maybe I am using it wrong.

But cutting down on the size of the textures/normalmaps would be good, quite a lot of big ones have accumulated.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

but I seem unable to produce a DDS file for normalmaps that is understood by D3.

We don't use dds for normalmaps.

We don't use dds for normalmaps.

Ah, I think not everyone got that memo:

http://www.thirdfilms.com/darkwiki/index.p...ress_Normalmaps

And (filtering out svn entries):

te@te:~/.doom3/darkmod$ find dds/ -name "*local*"
dds/textures/test_window/window1_glass_local.dds
dds/textures/test_window/window1_combined_local.dds

:) Good to know I don't need to care about that, but then somebody needs to remove that entry on the wiki, so others don't fall for the same trap as I did.

(Likewise, we should probably remove the test_window stuff someday, as it isn't really usable anyway)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Can you (or somebody else then) please convert TGA files to DDS and check the TGA into the hires repository?

I'm happy to do it, you just need to chuck the file on FTP with the correct name and I'll commit it. TortoiseSVN has a handy repository browser which allows me to commit files even without a local working copy.

* DDs files for textures (diffuse) work ok on my system, but I seem unable to produce a DDS file for normalmaps that is understood by D3. The normalmap always is just missing. Maybe that is a problem with the Gimp Normalmap pluging, or maybe I am using it wrong.

As Springheel said, we won't be using DDS files for normals due to several reasons (see Wiki articles).

For the records: D3 is using a special format for the normalmaps (DXT5 RXGB), which can only be handled by very few programs. This is the ATI Compressonator (but ONLY the version on the FTP, newer versions don't cut it), the D3 game engine, DarkRadiant and the DevIL image library. Anyhow, it won't matter, as we won't be using it.

:) Good to know I don't need to care about that, but then somebody needs to remove that entry on the wiki, so others don't fall for the same trap as I did.

Yeah, I plugged that tutorial on the wiki before we found out about the limitations. However, the other tutorial clearly states that the TGA locals should be uploaded. ;)

Anyhow, I'll just move the DDS normalmap creation tutorial somewhere else, it's still valuable information, if somebody really wants to create D3-compatible DDS normals.

I'm happy to do it, you just need to chuck the file on FTP with the correct name and I'll commit it. TortoiseSVN has a handy repository browser which allows me to commit files even without a local working copy.

Oh, I am sure if I muck around long enough, I can commit stuff to the hires repo. But if the server can't be fixed so you can check itout without errors and aborts, I am not bothering with that - wasted too much time getting errors already -_-

As Springheel said, we won't be using DDS files for normals due to several reasons (see Wiki articles).

That's fine by me, I just wish I had found that out before I spent an hour trying to get them to work here :o

For the records: D3 is using a special format for the normalmaps (DXT5 RXGB), which can only be handled by very few programs. This is the ATI Compressonator (but ONLY the version on the FTP, newer versions don't cut it), the D3 game engine, DarkRadiant and the DevIL image library. Anyhow, it won't matter, as we won't be using it.

The Gimp Normalmap plugin offers DXT5, and an "swap alpha channel" option, but I haven't tried that combination yet. (as you apparently need first to add a layer mask to get an alpha channel to an image before you can use that option as I just found out :)

Yeah, I plugged that tutorial on the wiki before we found out about the limitations. However, the other tutorial clearly states that the TGA locals should be uploaded. ;)

Anyhow, I'll just move the DDS normalmap creation tutorial somewhere else, it's still valuable information, if somebody really wants to create D3-compatible DDS normals.

Yes, the DDS article is so handy that I added a redirect "dds" to it because I needed it so often :)

OK, got the dds tex on objects problem figured. Man I've been dealing with this for awhile. I think I was using dds/textures.... thinking that was needed to find that folder. I think I was also slightly confused with the jpg _ed images.

-------

Still, many of the metal tex paths are wrong are they not?

Well, I'm not using the material browser much as I haven't done much editing. The problem is trying to use those materials on objects, but the paths seem to be incorrect and I get shader not found.

Are these materials corrected in another file that I can't seem to find? How can they work if the tex names are wrong?

Ah, just looked in editor, maybe I'll just start using the editor to pick shader names, then don't have to mess with a pooched outdated file.

Are these materials corrected in another file that I can't seem to find? How can they work if the tex names are wrong?

I can only see the file tdm_metal_flat.mtr, and these are all working fine for me. All metal/flat textures are defined in that single file, nowhere else.

Maybe you have another .mtr file lying around in your local materials/ folder, containing old and outdated paths? I can't quite reproduce what you're experiencing, so I can only guess.