The Dark Mod Forums

Add your barks, speeches, mutterings, suggested/needed thread

Fidcal

Add requests and requirements for any barks, speeches, mutterings, etc to this thread and suggested variations. These can then be modified as needed...

open doors:

Who left this open?

Who left this door open?

Why do they keep leaving doors open?

Hey! I told you not to leave doors open!

Why is this not closed?

Damn! This should be kept shut.

smells:

What is that smell? Don't think it's me ... already had my wash this month...

Mmmm... something smells odd around here...

Euh! someone hasn't washed for a while.

Gasp! what a stink ... must be a dead cat around here

general grumbles & mutterings:

Always more rules and regulations. As if I don't know how to do my job anyway.

Why do I always get this watch? They must know I hate it. Trouble is I don't grumble enough. Then they'd take notice.

When this is over I think I'll take a few days off. Yes, I need a break. Fresh air. Nice walks in the country.

Don't doze! Not tonight! This is my big chance. If I can just nail one miscreant then they'll respect me; then they'll trust me. Yes, I'm on my way up.

open doors:

We will probably need two different kinds of bark for this:

* One for low-to-medium-security doors, which only merit an annoyed "who left this door open?" comment and aren't hugely suspicious.

* One for doors in high security areas, which are normally locked and should never be opened; e.g. the door to the bank vault, the lord's room, etc. "That door shouldn't be open! We've got an intruder!"

Also, for when AIs discover that they no longer possess a key, we need:

* Somebody's stolen my key! We've got an intruder! (For high security keys, and if we don't bother implementing AI looking for their keys, assuming they've dropped them.)

* I've lost my key, oops. Better go look for it. (If we implement AI looking for their keys.)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Before people start adding more vocal requests, please read the vocal key on SVN under D:\doom3\darkmod\sound\voices...there is a PDF. I created it in March 2005 and uploaded it for coders/AI designers to help in the development of the AI states. Is this being used at all? :( It's a hybrid of Thief 2 and Thief 3 behavior....there should be very little that we need to add to it. It was based on the original Thief 2 AI states document that I got from Sledge when he was developing Thief 2X. It covers all the Thief 2 and 3 states and then adds some.

I would prefer not use specific barks for items that a character might carry on their belt, as that limits what the voice bark can be used for.

Something on their belt would go under [Find States] as characterx_missingitemself_x..."huh, where is it? I must have dropped it somewhere."

The vocal barks do allow for 'some' common environmental objects, but an AI could be made to carry a number of things on their belt, so it's best to keep it general.

You know how it is NH - no one person knows every other aspect of the mod - you just have to remind people of stuff now and again that's all it takes. :)

Well there doesn't appear to be any male & female drunk entries in the doc - don't know if you want to add them or not, but I know having drunk guards was one of the high points of the thief experience. :) Maybe you consider it to be left up to the fans to create.

Yeah, I held off on drunk guards in the document. I hadn't quite decided how to handle them. It always bugged me that the drunk guards often went from being drunk, to normal when alerted...so I was thinking that I would basically get my actors to record a drunk and sober version of the same character for a few of them. Not all mind you, that would be insane. lol It's pretty easy when you have the actor right here and just say...ok, same bark...but drunk this time. lol

I would prefer not use specific barks for items that a character might carry on their belt, as that limits what the voice bark can be used for.

Something on their belt would go under [Find States] as characterx_missingitemself_x..."huh, where is it? I must have dropped it somewhere."

The vocal barks do allow for 'some' common environmental objects, but an AI could be made to carry a number of things on their belt, so it's best to keep it general.

Oh, I agree that things should be general, in general (hehe). It's just that I don't envision us implementing such AI behaviour for anything except keys. Other pickpocketable items are fair game, and the player shouldn't be penalised for achieving them; the only reason we're even considering it for keys is that it doesn't make sense for a guard to open a locked door when he no longer has the key, and nor does it make much sense for the guard to just flip out without uttering a specific explanation.

Specifically mentioning keys also clues the player in to what's going on, which is important. It's hard for AI to look intelligent when they seemingly do random things. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.