The Dark Mod Forums

Model Polycount

Renzatic

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To show I'm not totally dead here: arches.

Haven't had much time here as of late. Hell, I still haven't managed to get my shutter into Doom 3 properly yet. But I'm still here, working in my spare time.

Veery nice arches :)

I'd like you to add the shutter first (before you get sidetracked too much :) Also, I think it would be a good idea to sep. the columns from the arches, I am pretty sure they can be re-used for other things :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

202 polys? Seriously? Cool! I'm trying to play spot-the-difference and failing, so that's a very good sign. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 3 weeks later...

Once again, I'm not dead. I'm working two jobs at the moment, which means I don't have time to do much anything else. Gotta feed my ten illegitimate kids and all that.

But to show I'm still here, and that I've been making progress slowly and surely, I'll post a quick screenshot of a door I've been working on. My second job has me sitting around doing alot of nothing for the most part, so I finally got around to playing some Ultima Underworld. It inspired me to make this particular grungy door.

The base itself is a texture rendered from a high poly source and applied to a single n-gon, the knob (shown here) is still in the high poly phase. Maybe one day I'll get it ingame...something I have yet to do. :(

Also, I think it might be time to move away from all these simple objects and try something a little more complicated. Texturing takes the largest part of my time, but the models themselves don't even take me more than an hour to do.

Once again, I'm not dead. I'm working two jobs at the moment, which means I don't have time to do much anything else. Gotta feed my ten illegitimate kids and all that.

But to show I'm still here, and that I've been making progress slowly and surely, I'll post a quick screenshot of a door I've been working on. My second job has me sitting around doing alot of nothing for the most part, so I finally got around to playing some Ultima Underworld. It inspired me to make this particular grungy door.

The base itself is a texture rendered from a high poly source and applied to a single n-gon, the knob (shown here) is still in the high poly phase. Maybe one day I'll get it ingame...something I have yet to do. :(

Also, I think it might be time to move away from all these simple objects and try something a little more complicated. Texturing takes the largest part of my time, but the models themselves don't even take me more than an hour to do.

Heh that looks fantastic! Can you please put it into the game instead? Or let someone from us handle it, it would be a waste if these objects sit on your harddisk instead! :wub:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Stuffs looking good.

Some of the door stuff to a degree could be worked into textures for the existing doors.

Don't know if you've checked out the base door models yet. I'm not saying we can't use more door variations either...

But the doors are basically just a cube that can be textured with base textures, same with hinges and lockplates. It would be great to have more variations (especially lockplates and hinges, I've only done 2 set so far.)

The good thing is they are very low poly and skinnable. The problem is the tex needs to fit the existing tex sizes/uv layout. Not hard but if they don't fit they won't work for skins.

I modelled the hinges and lockplates the baked a normal, then just used stock textures (metal) and painted some AO for flat light on em.

However that won't work for round top doors.

------------------

As far as door handles, I think the team has decided against round handles. I think there are different opinions on why, my personal opinion is that it's alot easier for players to see a lever type handle move when being used by enemy and/or lockpicking.

We could use more varitaionthere too, I've only done one so far.

-------------------

I don't wanna post pics of my stuff and clog up your thread so I'll just add a link to a pick of the doors I speak of

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=167520

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

No round knobs? How's this then? Or hell, you can look at it up close and personal.

I could easily convert it into a simple texture. That's what I originally intended on doing, and why it's somewhat proportional in the UV map (despite the groves between the door plating, which can be easily fixed both in the editor and in PS). But as usual, I ended up goofing around, and did more than I needed to. But even most of it can be baked into a normal.

...However that won't work for round top doors

Don't know if I'm quite catching what you're saying, but there's no reason why you can't just export an EPS of an arched door UV texture and do the exact same thing with a differently shaped mesh.

Anyway, I gotta head. Feel free to post pictures in my thread. Won't hurt my feelings in the least. Be liberal with the critiques on the mesh. And lastly, I'll be doing the low poly mesh and texture later this week.

No, we could deffinately (and should probably) have a round top door mesh.

I was just saying it can't be used on MY door mesh. But you could still bake out normals for hinges and lockplate that would also work on my doors. I should update the Wiki with some door skinning info. But I can give you a uv layout or just rob the normals and fit to my layout at some point :)

since you haven't put anything in game yet I'll assume that you know when exporting the doors hinged edge needs to be at 0,0,0 for proper rotation and same with the handle (they have to be seperate meshes).

These are the door sizes I made. I think they are a very good balance between proper proportions to the player and easy to fit to the grid sizes for authors. Might come in handy for you.

Export them so the bottom is at 0 (z plane), hinge side 0 (Y,X), and make sure the top and handle side fall on grid lines.

96x48

104x56

128x56

You don't have to stick to those sizes but they work pretty good. Not sure how your programs grid is. Max generic units are 1to1 with Doom units.-

-------------------

I took a look at your door. Guess it's the high poly so I don't think it really matters how it's modelled if you get the effects you want to achieve.

A few things I noticed though.

1:from youyr pic link above. all the tex in the middle of the door is vertical, but would look better if the center 'support' had grain going sideways so it looks like a different piece of wood (of course drips can run across it vertical)

2:not sure why the top inset is only 2 tris and the bottom is subdivided alot. But like I said it's just a hi-poly bake....

But that leads me to something I just figured out which you'll probably want to take into account for the low poly.

The objects are vertex lit (I can find polycount link if you want).

So if you used you're hi-poly in game you'd get really smooth lighting on the bottom if the door was in half light. But the top inste wouldn't light smoothly because the polys are so few and so big.

I made a bed and it looked like crap in Sl because of this. It basically had one long dark triangle on it because 2 of the verts were in the dark. I subdivided it a bit and added more polys down it's length, now it lights really smooth.

Right now all my door objects are basically 2 large polys on the fornt and back. I'm gonna subdivide them into probably 4 sections hieght wise, and 3 across. They'll look better in weird lighting situations.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Damn, Cog. I'm too lazy to reply to all that. Instead, I'll just say thanks for the help and post up a pretty picture for everyone to stare at.

Doors & Dirt & Rocks

The textures are up on Judith's texture site if anyone wants to grab them. If you want the original .tga's, I'll upload them to rapidshare and post a link

As far as the door texture is concerned, I realized my diffuse wasn't quite working out the way I intended (considering it was supposed to be metal instead of wood and all). So I dumped the old one, and redid the base door texture from scratch. The results are what you see above. It's a good thing, really. I thought the old one was a bit too bland and oversaturated.

And no, I still have yet to get a model ingame. I'm doing that tomorrow. No excuses.

If you're desperate for doors, I've got a pretty good one lingering on my harddrive I could donate. I never uploaded it because it's not exactly a regularly shaped door, and it'd be difficult to do anything with it using regular brushes.

Maybe now that I'm starting to do meshes, I can give it another lease on life. Here's a pic if you're interested. I also threw my new door in alongside it to show its normalmap off a bit better.

If you're desperate for doors, I've got a pretty good one lingering on my harddrive I could donate. I never uploaded it because it's not exactly a regularly shaped door, and it'd be difficult to do anything with it using regular brushes.

Maybe now that I'm starting to do meshes, I can give it another lease on life. Here's a pic if you're interested. I also threw my new door in alongside it to show its normalmap off a bit better.

Looks very good! Unfortunately, for both doors (well, at leas the left) we need pre-made frames, because it would be a real bother to make fitting brush frames for them without having either a gap or the door clip into it.

I know, and it is. It's the reason why I haven't committed the grey one to the public at large.

But for those of you wanting the texture, it's finished and up on the Master Builder Store. Next up: MESHES!

Can't find the link to the "master builder store". Google gives lots of unrelated links, inluding your post at ttlg.com, which also neglets to include the link :P

• 4 weeks later...

This is, by far, the most complicated model/texture I've ever attempted. Figured it was time I moved onto something beyond basic squarish geometry.

I plan on doing two versions, one with and without vines. Even though I'm basing the shapes off another texture I whipped together, I'm not gonna be using it for the final diffuse. I'm doing it all from scratch, from the basic shape here, to the roughing up in Zbrush, to painting it in Photoshop/Modo. I want it all to be mine. Lets see if I have enough skill to make it look natural and realistic.

Next up, I think I'm gonna take the big plunge and start doing organic stuff.

Also, I got a Wacom tablet. A Bamboo Fun to be exact. I love it.

DRAGONS.jpg

I drew that. It's my art.

I got quite a bit more than this done, probably a little over halfway on the geometry by this point, but I decided to give it a go earlier to see how it'd turn out. I kinda like it. I've still gotta run it through Zbrush to rough up the shape of the rocks a bit. Right now they're a little too clean and well defined. But after that, I think it'll end up looking fairly decent.

Still, it's alot of work for a single texture. I wish I knew how to control gradients better, so I could do all this in PS in about a quarter of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question. I want to make a muddy pool of water, smooth brown, somewhat still, cloudy enough so that it only gives muddy reflections of light sources with only a hint of the surrounding area. Something kinda like this, but with far less ripples.

I'm thinking I might need to track down a fresnel shader to get it to look right. But I'm also thinking there might be a simpler way to do it using basic material keys.

Since it's been a long time since I got deep into D3 materials, anyone have any suggestions to get me rolling on this?

Also, I've got a couple more textures up on the Master Builder Store if anyone wants them.

I just read this after my post

but, unfortunately, Doom 3 doesn't support DDS compression for normal maps.

from here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=8767

I think that's the cause, after making tga files instead of dds they look better. Again, nice textures, I'm sure using more from the master builder store in the future.