The Dark Mod Forums

Keys

DeepOmega

Key models are begun. Keeping 'em rather low poly, but still giving shape. Two different types: long, fancy and/or secure keys, and shorter, safe-type keys.

Keys1.jpg

Why are there two of each, you ask? Because the texture map will have two different colors. The UV map basically maps two keys, one on top, on on the bottom, so I need two different UV unwrappings for it to work. Two UVs means two models.

Some constructive critism here:

the teeths of the keys are too big - looks rather strange - or have you seen a key in RL were the handle of the key was smaller than the theeths ? ;)

2nd I think you can safe a lot of polys using a texture with an alphachannel - the keys are so small ingame - no one will notice, that the gap between the tewo teeth is faked with transparency - samething with the hole in the handle of the 2nd key.

In T2 they simply faked it with the texture - the gap was just black - did you ever notice ? ;)

post-5-1104832979.jpg

Edited by BlackThief

Well, one of the key ref pics is this:

antique-key-3.gif

Hence, gigantic teeth. Yeah, we can alpha it if needed, but I feel like a non-alpha solution would actually be better - since the texture will be so tiny, it's worth a couple extra polygons so it doesn't look blurry-edged. I may change the teeth of the key to a flat, two-sided poly instead of a thick box, tho - shave a few off there. Really, most of the polys come from the hole at the end.

Maybe it's perspective, but the ring part does look a little small to me.

I don't think we should go overboard with our key models. These two from DO, and two or three from TYROT, plus a keyring, and we should be set. We can give them different metal textures to further distinguish them.

I do request that at least one of them be kind of fancy and ornate, for the more ornate locks.

dear Spring

Im sorry i totally forget... i have modelled 10 keys...(*) I ll be rendering and uploading here ASAP!!!

sorry ...really i think im losing myself in endless posts..reading reading ...reading.....

BEST

(*) (i didnt make them THAT much FUNKY this time....) (**)

(**) dont trust me... (***)

(***) or do...

Whoa, those are quite weird. :)

I'm not sure we could reuse those...they're so unique no one would accept finding more than one of that type in a given level.

I think a couple would make a good skeleton key, but I think we need more conventional-looking ones for most cases.

There's also the fact that these will be so small onscreen that some of that detail will be wasted.