The Dark Mod Forums

Multi-cabinet container variations prefabs

Fidcal

@Tels: I don't understand. I thought it was agreed I was to make you this cupboard. That is primarily why I'm doing this. It's been on my todo list for some time. (see earlier in this thread.) Doing that fireplace prefab jogged my memory. Are you saying you've redone the cupboard? It was still the old cupboard last time I looked a few days ago.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See these placeholder hinges? Anyone know of any brass or gold hinge textures? If you scroll up this thread to the ref images I posted; the old 16th century cupboard has some lovely metal hinges I'm trying to emulate.

post-400-1244239108_thumb.jpg

Come on, you know there's always someone who has to take a look and see what's wrong. :)

Gotcha :D

Why the back door becomes unfrobbable when you close the front door? That's because you set it up like that. The back door is partially inside the target_set_frobbable. When the front door is open, the back door is frobbable, when it's closed the back door is unfrobbable. I assume you're using the target_set_frobbable to prevent the back door from being frobbed through the front door or something like that, I think you'll need to set it up with a trigger or a script that checks for the players position and when he is in the closet both doors are frobbable.

No the "target_set_frobbable" was so that if the player closes the front door, he can't frob things inside the wardrobe. I completely forgot about that thing (is is invisible in my DR) and it probably just accidentily crosses the door because I moved things around. Thanx, I'll check it out! :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@Tels: I don't understand. I thought it was agreed I was to make you this cupboard. That is primarily why I'm doing this. It's been on my todo list for some time. (see earlier in this thread.) Doing that fireplace prefab jogged my memory. Are you saying you've redone the cupboard? It was still the old cupboard last time I looked a few days ago.

Arg, no sorry, I forgot about that "agreement" :) And I didn't want to imply that you are doing anything bad, or wrong, instead it is lovely (forget my crappy version) :)

All I wanted to say with that post was that you "exposed" my "secret door in the back" idea :) But don't worry with my current pace I never finish the mill map, never mind the story, the scripting nor the kitchen area (which is still missing).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I think there are a couple hinge textures somewhere, and we have some good brass textures. Don't know the names of them though; you'll have to search.

Sorry Tels I misunderstood your original post. I see now you were referring to the erm ... secret door. Not so secret any more though! ;)

Springheel: I searched without success but I made a new butterfly hinge decal today - one gold and one silver version. This cupboard is nearly finished:

post-400-1244312760_thumb.jpg post-400-1244312777_thumb.jpg post-400-1244312797_thumb.jpg

btw - there is an immune_to_target_set_frobable entity to be applied to doors and chest lids and such like so they don't get disabled. Dunno if it helps in this situation though. It can be triggered/toggled by anything - normally the door itself.

Sorry Tels I misunderstood your original post. I see now you were referring to the erm ... secret door. Not so secret any more though! ;)

Springheel: I searched without success but I made a new butterfly hinge decal today - one gold and one silver version. This cupboard is nearly finished:

Wow :wub: Lovely, just one question, will they have a lockbox/keyhole? Also, would it be possible to make a texture variant with the red-brown we already have cupboards in?

These are nearly done. They convert to at least these 4 texture variations without needing any texture tweaking at all that I can see. Also you can see how easy it is to vary them, eg, remove the doors and they are shelf units. I have made the carcase, doors, spindles, mid shelves, and side shelves as separate func_statics so it's easy to rip out. I'll do the same for the hinge parts that go on the carcase. I noticed one texture error on the spindles fixture that wasn't obvious on the dark wood. I'll fix that before I commit. Also they rotate very well. Only the door and door handles origins needed moving and even they are not needed if you are removing the doors. This retexturing and rotating worked so easily I'm only going to commit the one dark wood prefab with short info to customise.

Footnote: I now think the new spindle fixtures look ugly - just plain blocks. They were lost in the dark before. I'll try to come up with something new.

post-400-1244369545_thumb.jpg

post-400-1244369565_thumb.jpg

post-400-1244369662_thumb.jpg

post-400-1244369759_thumb.jpg

Lovely! Can't wait to put them into my map!

One thing we should look into is converting them (after they are 100% done) to models, because the func_static ones can be creating a lot of triangles (because the different parts intersetc and D3 tiles the triangle) and a model could reduce that some bit.

I decided in the end that it is easier for the map to select from the 4 texture variations. Now committed as prefabs/furniture/cabinets/cupboard_dark ... grey ... grey_rough ... and red. Also committed maps/test/cupboards to demo them plus an extra open shelf variation (not a prefab as you need only delete the doors.)

No hinges on the rough grey one as the ones on the others are too smart. All the components: doors, doorhandles, spindles, hinges, mid-shelves and side-shelves can be easily removed. Two or three sample moveables inside each. Key, lockpick, spawnargs set up ready with null data so easy to set. These should go on the left door only because it is frob_master. If you want the doors to open separately then delete the peer spawnargs and frob_master.

Yes, the shelving maybe. But in Oblivion, if you frob one of the cupboards then you get a list of its contents - so it was more symbolic. Here, you can actually get the doors open, poke around inside, hide inside if there's room. Virtual claustrophobia! :laugh: