The Dark Mod Forums

Tomb Raider Underworld

STiFU

I've recently played said game and I must admit that I really like it. Because of the (really) sucky camera it takes a little bit to get used to the controlls and such, but aside from that I've got nothing to criticize about this product. The overall setting, atmosphere and graphics are damn nice and there's a lot for the explorer's mind too: The levels (there are basically six) are huge and stuffed with secrets. I don't know how to say this now without spoiling anything, but the levelarchitecture is somewhat dynamic and took my breath away a couple of times. I guess most of you people aren't too fond of third-person action-adventures, but maybe some will give this one a shot and let me know what they think... :)

(Also note that Lara gets dusty/muddy/rainwet over time and her pupils transform according to lightlevel :laugh: )

Edited by STiFU

But, embarrassed why? Though it slipped and fell victim to corporate cash-cow greed for a handful of years, Tomb Raider is one of the best games developed, IMO. The first is an undeniable classic and great game, and then each successive one suffered a bit more under the weight of greed. Now with new developers at the helm, the recent three titles (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld) have set things straight.

Someone just has to make sure Eidos doesn't shit it up again with rehash after rehash and rush-out-the-door 11-month development cycles.

Yeah, the earlier games are some of my all time favs. I played arcade and console long before the comp.

But TR has always had one major flaw. Camera. You know, you get into a tight spot and have to make some critical jump controlling a precise angle, the the camera spins throwing your control 180 degrees off...

I'd love to see a first person vers of TR.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Mirror's edge is probably the closest candidate for that at the moment. At least concerning athletic movement. (Hmn gonna have to check out if it's finally been released for the PC.) Anyway, back to topic, I must say that I wasn't such a big fan of TR in the beginning. I finished Tomb raider 1, but the other parts until legend have only been played a little bit or not at all. Mostly because of the querky controls and camera. In Leged and Anniversary the camera was perfect, but aparently Underworld was a step back. But hey, I think I'm off playing again. Still four Treasures to go... ;-)

(Also note that Lara gets dusty/muddy/rainwet over time and her pupils transform according to lightlevel :laugh: )

How can you see her pupils in a third person game? (me ignorant, I know, but I seriously want to know)

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

In Leged and Anniversary the camera was perfect...

I wouldn't say that. Remember the Atlantis levels in Anniversary, specifically that one bit in the tower? The spastic mind-of-its-own camera absolutely killed that section of the game. If I had to make a choice between playing through that one bit again, or pulling my fingernails out with plyers...I'd go with the fingernails and plyers.

That said, I played the Underworld demo recently and loved it. The camera is a little iffy, but isn't so bad it ruins the game. I'll be grabbing me a copy soon enough.

How can you see her pupils in a third person game? (me ignorant, I know, but I seriously want to know)

Probably get her close to a wall and rotate the camera around so its facing her. I never noticed that myself, but it's a cool little touch.

I've always liked the Tomb Raider series. Maybe the best "platform" type of realistic 3D game. I started with TR2 and went back and played TR1, then recently Anneversary.

I was never one to think that 1st Person was intrinsically better than 3rd Person, just that they are basically different mechanics suited for different types of games. 1st Person doesn't seem as suited for platforming, but I haven't played Mirror's Edge so I'm willing to see. But when TR is at its best it does it well.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.