The Dark Mod Forums

Is there an easy way to "fit" a texture in just one direction?

I have a very long wall, and I would like to "fit" one texture on it vertically, but then just have the texture repeat at that scale horizontally. Is there a way to "fit" in only one direction? If not, I would like this feature :)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

You can use a pattern brush: build your wall as normal. Then build a separate brush, aligned properly with the wall and texture it appropriately (e.g. it would be 128 on a side or whatever dimensions you want, aligned 1x1). Now just copy that alignment to the wall (MMB followed by ctrl-alt-MMB), and you'll have 1xn alignment.

post-58-1241703014_thumb.jpg

Or fit the texture 1 time vertically (any number Y times horizontally) and copy the scale value in the Surface Inspector from the vertical scale entry over the horizontal one.

(would be nice to have it direct though)

Yeah, I know, but my DarkRadiant time is very limited right now. I'd like to do more algorithms like this with Python scripts, which can be developed in a much shorter time than C++ code, but the script support is not ready yet to create texture algorithms.

FTR, I use the pattern brush technique all the time for aligning patches to brushes, so it's actually a very useful thing.

Ah, that DOES sound very useful, should go into some wiki pages for people to learn this good technique!

I have a very long wall, and I would like to "fit" one texture on it vertically, but then just have the texture repeat at that scale horizontally. Is there a way to "fit" in only one direction? If not, I would like this feature :)

I don't get what your asking really. But cant you just use the fit ratios? (When you fit the default it 1 and 1 change to 1 and 2 or w/e)

but I don't know exactly how long the wall is or whatever. So maybe the wall is 12 tall but 328 or whatever long, I don't feel like doing the math to divide that, and have to adjust the wall length to be a multiple of 12, etc.