The Dark Mod Forums

Light Entity Issue

I am having major rendering issues (or so I thought) with DarkRadiant, the latest source build and the 0.10.0 build on Sourceforge. I've spent the last few weeks reinstalling driver after driver.

Well today I finally figured out what's going on;

31794118.jpg

As you can see from the screenshot, the light entities origin and light center are different. I don't know when this happened but if I create a new map and add a light that's not at 0,0,0, then it's light center is at 0,0,0 while it's origin may be at 1000,1000,1000 (just for example).

Now I'm screwed as all the lights in my map have had their centers changed to 0,0,0, so none of them illuminate ANYTHING.

If I manually change the light centers to equal what's in the light origin, then the light works correctly. If I take that light entity and drag it it's light center fields aren't updated and the further the light entity is dragged, the less it illuminates.

Can anyone help me here? Greebo maybe? I'm wringing my hands here thinking about how much work it's going to be to replace all my lights in all my maps as each one has been opened and had their light centers corrupted with 0,0,0,

Edited by greebo
edited title

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I'm almost certain that light_center is a relative vector.

Select a light. Press "v" to go into vertex mode. Drag the light's only vertex somewhere (say 64 units on X to the right). Watch the light_center change to its position relative to the origin (in my example: 64 0 0).

This must be a really recent code change in DarkRadiant's renderer.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Perhaps then I have it backward. Perhaps the Light Center and Light Origin are being duplicated. So a light at 1000,1000,1000 would have an Offset light center of 1000,1000,1000. In which case the light would not appear to illuminate anything?

If you dmap with all your light_centers at 0,0,0, you will see that it is being lit properly.

The renderer in SVN DarkRadiant must think that light_center is an absolute vector. This is a bug. Do not bother to change all of your light_centers just to see it in DR's camera. The light_center, in reality, is a relative vector, and is treated as such by Doom 3.

A light whose origin is at 100,100,100, and whose light_center is 0,0,0 will render a light in-game at 100,100,100.

A light whose origin is at 100,100,100, and whose light_center is 10,20,30 will render a light in-game at 110,120,130.

I'm still almost certain that this is a renderer code problem. I doubt that openGL 3 has anything to do with DR's software renderer.

To confirm it, check the brushes close to the origin (0, 0, 0) of your map. Are any of them illuminated?

If the renderer is treating light_center 0,0,0 to mean the map's origin and not the light's origin, you'll probably have some brightly lit geometry around 0,0,0 of your map.

You're right, I installed Doom 3 + Darkmod + DarkRadiant (SVN Build) yesterday on my mom's computer (NVidia 6150 LE) and it also does it there.

I found some steps to reproduce this error.

Step 1: Create a cube with dimensions of 384,384,384. (doesn't have to be this size)

Step 2: Texture walls with whatever you want

Step 3: Click on "Make Room" button.

Step 4: Place default light entity in center of room

Step 5: Select the light entity and one of the walls and move them away from map origin (0,0,0)

After you drag it a little ways it's as if the light is still at 0,0,0 and not moving with the wall.

In this screenshot I just created a simple room that's 384x384x384 and created a default light entity (radius of 320,320,320) at origin.

step1.png

I then select the light and the left wall...

step2z.png

Then move it over along with the light entity. As you can see as soon as the wall passes 320 units, it is no longer illuminated.

step3yk.png

Confirmed in 0.10.0. Refreshing the rendering mode (f3) or changing the light's radius, center, color, texture does not refresh the lighting and the brush stays dark like in AH's screenshots.

Are those screenshots of SVN or 0.10.0?