7 replies to this topic

#1 duzenko

duzenko

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:47 AM

I noticed that when I upload a compressed .png the uploaded file size is usually much bigger than the original.

Is there something we could do about it?

Here's an example.

Attached Files

#2 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5761 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

Is it possible the forum is showing you the decompressed file size?

EDIT: nope, that's not the case, if I full screen the image and download it, it's twice the size in MB, but it's image size is smaller, so the forum is resizing and recompressing, but probably doing it as fastest path instead of smallest path.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#3 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5761 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:22 AM

The original image is 2137x1377 and 203 KB
The image on the forum is 1200x774 and 508 KB

#4 duzenko

duzenko

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

EDIT: nope, that's not the case, if I full screen the image and download it, it's twice the size in MB, but it's image size is smaller, so the forum is resizing and recompressing, but probably doing it as fastest path instead of smallest path.

Prompts the question: why recompress at all if the result is worse that the original?

#5 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5761 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:44 PM

It might be set up to save space by resizing attachments, but it's saving on processing times by using a fast compress path.

#6 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

The forum is oddly configured in other ways too. That it actually increases file size by shrinking the image is just the ironic icing on the cake.

Disabling processing of attachments in general and dropping the absurd restrictions on file size and type too would be a good thing to do. You can't even post an untouched game-generated screenshot or a small test case PK4 as it is configured now. I already saw a lot of bit-rot because of the resulting need to link to more or less shabby OCHs instead.

Also allowing to search for other terms without having to wait another ten seconds would probably change the search functionality to something that could actually be of use.

#7 duzenko

duzenko

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:24 AM

It might be set up to save space by resizing attachments, but it's saving on processing times by using a fast compress path.

Supposedly, but what prevents it to compare the output size with the original and discard the bigger one?

#8 grml4d

grml4d

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:40 AM

forum is fast with M$-ie11 but unreadable with Google-chrome ...Firefox is in the middle...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users