The Dark Mod Forums

2009 ModDB Mod of the Year Awards open

Crispy

That may be a good resolution to the issue. Major updates to mods are eligible for the awards, and if there are one or two like that in 2010, with a nice amount of maps (maybe another contest in the fourth quarter to close the year?), TDM may get an editor's pick.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Apparently I seriously underestimated how much time it would take to actually package up the files for release. We haven't even started testing them yet, and it will be a good two weeks after that before they are ready to go. :(

• 2 weeks later...

What TDM really needs to start gaining popularity with gamers is a true flagship FM campaign. Like a linear series of 8-10 reeeeally high quality maps, (on par or > ToSL / RTtC) with some character development / voice acting for a Non-Garrett protagonist that gamers can get attached to. Unless you're a die-hard thief series fan, TDM is fairly easy to overlook (at the current time). Hell, I've played and replayed all the thief games many times, and when i heard about TDM years ago i just about #@!$ a brick in my excitement. But after a while, (a year or so), i gave up hope on it, sorta like giving up hope that Robert Jordan would ever finish Wheel of Time.

I think there's plenty of 'thiefy' gamers out there to tap into, some of them Thief fans from years past, that just need a good old chunk of "download / install / play 10 hours of seamless content" to get the community lifeblood pumping.

I know that I've known about TDM for a long time, and once every 6 months, i would actively seek it out and check progress. If it wasn't near completion or playable, I'd set it on backburner and not worry about it for another 6 months (having to procure a copy of D3 didn't help that either....). And i considered myself a fairly die-hard Thief series fan. It took me until last week to join the community. With that in mind, think what kind of incentive you need to pull in your average gamer that's browsing through D3 mods. My bet is on a complete plug-n-play campaign ready to roll upon TDM installation, with some propaganda for that campaign (youtube trailer, etc) thrown in. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

P.S. if a campaign IS ever devised, as aforementioned in other posts, make sure to have at least 1 level entirely devoted to zombies, and any trailers created should show only clips from that level. Also consider implementing an arm mounted chainsaw as a playable weapon.

What TDM really needs to start gaining popularity with gamers is a true flagship FM campaign. Like a linear series of 8-10 reeeeally high quality maps, (on par or > ToSL / RTtC) with some character development / voice acting for a Non-Garrett protagonist that gamers can get attached to.

So when do you (or the community) start to make them? ;)

Unless you're a die-hard thief series fan, TDM is fairly easy to overlook (at the current time). Hell, I've played and replayed all the thief games many times, and when i heard about TDM years ago i just about #@!$ a brick in my excitement. But after a while, (a year or so), i gave up hope on it, sorta like giving up hope that Robert Jordan would ever finish Wheel of Time.

I think there's plenty of 'thiefy' gamers out there to tap into, some of them Thief fans from years past, that just need a good old chunk of "download / install / play 10 hours of seamless content" to get the community lifeblood pumping.

We have over 10 missions, and this should provide ample play time *already*. The TDM team will put out v1.01 - but it will only contain "more of the same" stuff, e.g. bug fixes, new voices and characters, but none of this does really prevent you (or anybody else) from pumping out the FMs.

I know that I've known about TDM for a long time, and once every 6 months, i would actively seek it out and check progress. If it wasn't near completion or playable, I'd set it on backburner and not worry about it for another 6 months (having to procure a copy of D3 didn't help that either....). And i considered myself a fairly die-hard Thief series fan. It took me until last week to join the community. With that in mind, think what kind of incentive you need to pull in your average gamer that's browsing through D3 mods. My bet is on a complete plug-n-play campaign ready to roll upon TDM installation, with some propaganda for that campaign (youtube trailer, etc) thrown in. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

P.S. if a campaign IS ever devised, as aforementioned in other posts, make sure to have at least 1 level entirely devoted to zombies, and any trailers created should show only clips from that level. Also consider implementing an arm mounted chainsaw as a playable weapon.

Yeah good idea. We should also not forget the gatling-cannon-style arrow-launcher canon, the high-particle-spewing firearrow explosions, and a slow-mo potion. Maybe we can work a steam-punk shotgun into it somehow. Ah forget it, I can't do this with a straight face anymore...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

What TDM really needs to start gaining popularity with gamers is a true flagship FM campaign. Like a linear series of 8-10 reeeeally high quality maps,

That kind of undertaking would easily take another three or four years to complete, minimum. And it would also mean no more updates to TDM itself, as everyone left on the team would be too busy mapping.

While some team-members are working on large 2-3 mission campaigns, anything larger than that will have to be a community project.

So when do you (or the community) start to make them? ;)

Hey now, hey now, I surely wasn't about to just set down a giant 10000 hour pile of crap in front of you without grabbing a shovel for myself. I've already started wading through DR, and plan to make my own contributions asap.

We have over 10 missions, and this should provide ample play time *already*. The TDM team will put out v1.01 - but it will only contain "more of the same" stuff, e.g. bug fixes, new voices and characters, but none of this does really prevent you (or anybody else) from pumping out the FMs.

see above statement.

Come on man, I just happened to notice people being baffled as to why TDM couldn't make top 5 on modDB, and when the best solution was zombie levels (lol), i figured i'd put in my 2 cents. As for that solution being feasible any time soon? don't know, don't care. But I totally plan to help. Here to stay.

./grab_shovel

Come on man, I just happened to notice people being baffled as to why TDM couldn't make top 5 on modDB, and when the best solution was zombie levels (lol), i figured i'd put in my 2 cents. As for that solution being feasible any time soon? don't know, don't care. But I totally plan to help. Here to stay.

./grab_shovel

OMG that was a joke! Come on, are you serious? Zombies? It just seems to us that the top 5 winners almost always have some stupid fucking Zombies in them, so as a JOKE I wrote that we should have gotten some mention because we do have zombies now. I wasn't serious, nor was anyone else.

As for a campaign; HA! I'd rather work continued on the Dark Mod and DR than to drag everyone down creating a 13 mission campaign. But hey, thanks for taking the time to learn DR, we need all the interest we can get <3

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

IMO things are running fine the way they do. I'd rather see things grow in time than people trying to rush out a campaign just to have a campaign.

Right now in the beginning it's more about learning the tools for most mappers. At the same time more assets get finished -- while the mod is already great as is, there are still a lot of things missing that noone wants to miss in a campaign: spiders, belchers, several factions, the woo... ...and let's not forget female npcs. Who wants to see a campaign without women? Imagine a series of missions overflowen with notes stating "gone shopping -- will be back in a few weeks". (zombies won't make up for that, no matter how deep you dig for them.)

As for exposure I think DarkMod will not go unnoticed once D4rk Fourject hits the stores. And it will even be more convincing then. Maybe not to the usual moddb-crowd but whocaresanyway. ^_^

OMG that was a joke!

yeah i know. it was pretty damn funny too. that's why i threw in the (lol) in that post. not suggesting that you're creatively crippled or something, hehe

edit:

...and let's not forget female npcs. Who wants to see a campaign without women? Imagine a series of missions overflowen with notes stating "gone shopping -- will be back in a few weeks". (zombies won't make up for that, no matter how deep you dig for them.)

patently dangerous has a (dead) woman! and shes not wearing any underwear....?

Edited by ungoliant

What exactly were YOU trying to do?

errrrr, it was a total accident i found that, ya know. i was scurred of the murderer finding me, so i was just going through the warehouse in permanent creep mode, meaning i was already really low to the floor. then i was checking her body for loot, and the appendage i grabbed to drag just happened to be her leg, which lifted up. See? I'm not a perv. i was scanning a dangerous environment for riches and plunder. totally innocent. :P

errrrr, it was a total accident i found that, ya know. i was scurred of the murderer finding me, so i was just going through the warehouse in permanent creep mode, meaning i was already really low to the floor. then i was checking her body for loot, and the appendage i grabbed to drag just happened to be her leg, which lifted up. See? I'm not a perv. i was scanning a dangerous environment for riches and plunder. totally innocent. :P

OMG THERE'S NO LOOT IN THERE!!!!! Oh wait, that's where she hid her lucky candlestick...:P (Thief 1 Hand of Glory joke)

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.