The Dark Mod Forums

Upgrading CPU?

jdude

Should be fine, tho wattage rating are generally bad these days, if its from a reputable range(and not 10 years old) it should be ok :)

The graphics card is just refering to the wattage rating of the whole system, it alone wont use more than like 150 odd. The important statistic on a PSU these days is how much it can push on the 12V rail(s), the lower rails the better for high end.

Edited by Serpentine

jdude, remember to update that bios, the latest version is dated 2008/12/09 (R01-B0). Also, just to support Serpentine's claim on that wattage, note that Fermi is reported to consume 280W alone, which comes very close to the PCIe specs that allow for 300W max. So, the HD5850 (which is a very efficient card) will consume much less power. 500W PSU sould be fine by all means.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

You would have to check the motherboard manufacturers site. Its generally suggested that you update it specially after upgrading after a long time - they could have added features etc that the new chip can take advantage of. However check if you need to update first, you can usually check quite easily either by looking for the bios revision when you boot or using the bios flasher tool.

Most allow you to flash from windows these days, you will need to download the flasher that the board manu recommends from their site and the new bios file. It should guide you through the process, some boards and manu's will tell you to go play in DOS... which can be quite a mission :)

I had to take his computer in to get them to install his new cpu and he ended up needing a new otherboard too and the guy said the bearings on his old psu were weak so he recommended a new powersupply which he intsalled for cheap. However this new PSU is 470watts, do you think this will be fine though? It's only 30 watts under the 500w recomendation for the card

It depends largely on how many other power-intensive devices he's got.

If he's not running plenty of extra PCI cards (TV tuners, video capture, sound cards) or simultaneous high-end optical drives (like hi-speed SATA RAID setups, or reading-writing blu ray disks at the same time) he won't run into any issues.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

No.

First of all, bearings on a power supply? So get a new fan for the PS, if that's all it is.

Secondly, if feel you can still trust a guy who recommends a new (and under spec) PS for what was simply the need for a new fan... a don't get a "cheap" anything to do with a PS. Or an under spec'd PS either.

But, IMO, this sounds like a bunch of nonsense.

Get a quality, up-to-spec PS;

Get a quality CPU; don't overclock the CPU (there are no "negligible" problems with a CPU - it's the CPU (!).

Get a quality "guy" not someone who recommends "cheap" but this-and-that that he might just as easily (and less expensively) upgraded a part of...

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I second that. This sounds really strange and suspicious to me. 550W should be more than sufficient to power CPU and GPU, even on high loads. Maybe the PSU didn't have enough amperage on the 12V line, and that could be a potential problem. The Nvidia Fermi card is rumored to need 42A and above on the 12V line, so this might fall in the same category. As for the mobo, if the Acer CPU compatibility list explicitely mentions the chosen CPU, then a simple BIOS update should have done the trick.

Not to talk bad about someone I don't know, but I can't shake the feeling that you paid more than you needed to.

We replaced the PSU because the old one was making strange sounds which indicated to the guy that the fan bearings may stop in the future. I'm going to take the 470W one, return it, and get another 550W one and use the old one with the possibly messed up fan to power a new PC I'm going to make out of all the spare parts.

As for performance though, his computer is awesome, I wish I had that kind of money to spend on a pc :)

...and while you're at that, replace the fan(s) on the old PSU (or have it/them replaced). Even high-quality fans don't cost much, and you should notice the effect immediately. Also, they are way too important to maintain the airflow in the computer case, and if such a fan gives out, the effect for your gear can be deadly (as in overheating). Please keep in mind, that according to Murphy's Law the fan will give out precisely when you need it most.

I think trading that psu in for recommended specs is a good idea. You MIGHT not ever have probs with under spec, but if you do and it kills the card he's out $300 for a good card. a 550 watt psu would only be what, $20-30 more than the 470w. And if you have issues with the card they can't claim 'void warranty' because of psu.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yea that's what I was thinking Baddcog. The night before I couldn't sleep because I felt stress from running the 470W one haha.

@ 7-upman

I've checked and replaced all the fans in his computer now :) Thanks for the advice.

His computer was a surprisingly huge amount of work for the 20 bucks he offered to pay me lol