The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant Localisation

greebo

With the next feature release 1.3.0 (not yet scheduled for release) DarkRadiant can be localised, i.e. translated into other languages. For this endeavour I'm looking for people who are willing to contribute translations a few strings.

In total there are about 1100 strings to be translated - sounds many, but most of them are single words or terms, a few of them are actual sentences and a few of these words don't need to be translated at all (like "X" or "Entity"). I assume that it's possible for one person to translate 5 to 10 words per minute, so in total it should take a few days to translate all those strings.

Of course it's not necessary for one person to translate everything, as I've set up a small collaboration website for translating these strings online. If you register there, you can start contributing translated strings. So far I've created a German project on this website, but I can set up any language people are willing to translate into.

Anybody interested?

Here's the link to the translation portal: http://darkradiant.a...lation/main.php

I could help with German only, everything else would lead me to use translate.google.com :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Feel free to create your account on the above site. Even if it's just one or two strings, it's helping nonetheless.

The "entrans" software is a bit awkward to use (it's been designed to aid translations to Indian languages), but it does the job. I couldn't find any other free software to collaboratively edit PO files (based on PHP/MySQL, that is).

Feel free to create your account on the above site.

Done.

From work experience I can tell that translate.google.com does quite a job for f.i. Russian, provided you translate first from say English to Russian, then back to German and verify the meaning. It has a lot of computer phrases already (probably learnt from either the wide web or user content). Normally dictionaries totally fail at even simple things like "open file" or "cancel operation in progress" e.g. anything that it outside the normal conversation realm.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Greebo, can you send me the strings in DOC/RTF format? I could quickly translate this with a TM software. I'd use one of the big TMs I have, so that wouldn't take me long. XLS/CSV would be okay too, but working through this interface would be tedious.

Also, don't use automated translation engines. The last c't compared them, and while Bing! didn't screw up badly with IT texts, the results are still far from perfect.

EDIT: I just remembered that I know a Russian translator. I'll ask him if he's interested in doing this.

Edited by 7upMan

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I just have the .po file which is generated by the xgettext program. The format is text-based but I can't just convert it to DOC. Also, the translated strings need to be put into the correct location in the .po file/database - scripting that sounds like more work than translating the actual lines. :mellow:

But you can try copy&pasting them out of the list. Here's a link with a one-page list of all strings: http://darkradiant.angua.at/translation/list.php?file_list=yes&file_id=5&page=1&page_size=1200

A TXT file would be sufficient. I can work on it as long as I can open it in Word. So if I understand correctly, I can d/l the PO file, rename it to TXT, translate it and then rename it back to PO? 

The thing is that for consistency reasons I'd like to have a TM available. I'll post the export when I'm finished. The export is also a TXT basted file that can be easily browsed. This is very useful when you have a txt editor or search program that can do fuzzy searches. 

If I understood you correctly and the procedure I described above can be used, I'd ask you to either send me the file via e-mail or put it online somewhere I can can d/l it. Thanks in advance.

"Error: Can not create output file 'uploads/temp_download/guest/darkradiant.po_20100417181835'. Check the permissions."

What does that mean? Do I have to register, because a guest can't d/l a file?

Word 2002 can't open the file, error message "Unknown web archive". The only way to get this working is to open the file in Notepad++ and to Copy&Paste the contents into Word. I guess this is due to the encoding being in UTF-8. Maybe later versions of Word don't have that issue, who knows. I'll check that later today with Word 2010 RC. Anyway, once I'm done with the file I'll give you a shout.

Oh, and one thing: though I intend to stick with the existing translation, I noticed that "the brush" is "die Brush" in the previous German translation. Doesn't brush stand for "Pinsel" or something like that? What exactly is a brush? The Wiki isn't really helpful.

Keep in mind it is a special technical language. It is often the best way to keep the original english term since the community adopted it anyway. You can not force a "native" german word where it only would be confusing.

Best stick with Luther: ". . . man muss die Mutter im Hause, die Kinder auf der Gassen, den gemeinen Mann auf dem Markt drum fragen und denselbigen auf das Maul sehen, wie sie reden und darnach dolmetschen; da verstehen sie es denn und merken, daß man deutsch mit ihnen redet." (c&p from wikiquote)

There must be quite some german mapping communities for counter strike. It should make a good source for inspiration to visit some of them and have a look at some german speaking thief related sites.

Yes, technical terms like "Brush", "Patch", "Entity" can be kept as they are. New German mappers wil have to learn some new terms anyway, so it doesn't matter whether those are left in English.

(For example, nobody is translating "Solid State Disk" into German anyway without risking to sound very lame. Or "Floppy". Or "Touchpad". Or "Laptop". And so on.)

Oh, sorry, I didn't make myself clear: When you use a term from a different language that has no definied genders (like English) in German, you usually take the article the German term would have. To clarify: 

"the brush" would be "der Brush" because of the term "der Pinsel" it stands for. However, in this case it's not so clear, because brush can also be "die Bürste". Another example would be, say, "die CPU" (die zentrale Verarbeitungs-Einheit) or "der RAM" (der Zufallszugriffsspeicher). 

I just checked ttlg.de, and they use the article "der" for brush, as opposed to "die Brush" in the existing translationn of DarkRadiant. So, to change or not to change, that is the question.

I vote for "die", everything else sounds much more awkward to me.

Definitely "der Brush". Es heisst der "der block", "der pinsel". "die ..." ergibt keinen sinn an dieser stelle.

Well, German people also say "der Joghurt"...

Yeah, and "der laptop". As an alternative, some use "das", but I always thought that "das tunnel, das laptop and das joghurt" sounds quite odd.

whatever, I'll definitely be using the English version anyway.

Me too, so my interest in this is not very high.

And this leads us to my main question: Is anyone interested in working with a German version of DarkRadiant? I still have to try to convert the file into something I can actually work with my TM software.  I'd really hate to go through all this trouble if only one or two ppl ever worked with the localized version. So, hands up, who is really interested in this?

Well, German people also say "der Joghurt"... whatever, I'll definitely be using the English version anyway.

The word "Joghurt" derives from the Turkish language, so you can't directly compare. Besides,  Wiki says that Germans say "der Joghurt", while Swiss and Austrians use "das". But arguing about this is like pissing against the wind, I'd say.

So, hands up, who is really interested in this?

I definitely think this is worthwile, but of course it's up to you if you want to spend time on this or not. The definite answer will be given with time, but I guess you can get a better estimate asking the people at ttlg.de, there are some of them who don't know English very well.

Okay, I'll post this question there. But I'd also like to know if there is interest for translations into other languages. More specifically, I know a trnalsator whom I could ask if he'd be willing to spend some time translating (or proof-reading) the Russian version. Is there interest in this, too?

And this leads us to my main question: Is anyone interested in working with a German version of DarkRadiant? I still have to try to convert the file into something I can actually work with my TM software.  I'd really hate to go through all this trouble if only one or two ppl ever worked with the localized version. So, hands up, who is really interested in this?

Believe me, there are a lot of people who will gladly use a German translation because their English is not so good. It will definitely worthwhile, even if it attracts only one mapper. You never know who this will be.