The Dark Mod Forums

Holy Grail Achieved

nbohr1more

The Cell Shaded look inspired some people to look forward to playable cartoons. I'd say that this example proves that this can be done now:

Studio Ghibli on PS3

:)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah, I'd rather it be almost fully 3rd person action-platforming ala Zelda Twilight Princess but more contemplative and spiritual to let the surroundings soak in...

I would also say that the Rogue Squadron II for the Gamecube is a Holy Grail for 3rd person space-shooters who looked forward to something like it since the Galaxy Force II arcade game from Sega...

A personal Holy Grail Conquest I've been counting on...

Yesterday I enjoyed the HG-ish implications of this: I've done might damage to my liver and my heart (smoking whiskey and drinking cocaine)... so let's keep hearing about these types of progress.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

This doesn't look like any kind of new breatkthrough in tech, just very good art direction and stylization. Pretty, anyway. I'll be happy if there's another style of gameplay that takes advantage of it, like you say.

I don't know if this counts as a holy grail, but I thought the infinity engine is pretty cool: seamless transition from orbit to planetary landing --

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

(Ah my constant obsession with dynamic object LOD... :). )

Yeah a 3d game engine that can simulate a planetary landing would count as a Holy Grail moment.

And if we take aida's cue and talk about HG's outside of gaming...

Visual Prosthesis

I would love to be made of over 50% durable man-made part. I'm pro Cyborg! :laugh:

While the planet landing thing looked pretty cool, it really was an awful scale, like the planet is only 50 miles big or something. Still, a step in the right direction :)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

a step fing nothing. Thank you so much for posting that link. I've been watching a lot of infinity videos the last couple days. The Flamberge Fly-by video particularly rocked my f'ing face. EVE Online will having nothing on this game when it gets released. These 8 guys are millionaires and they don't even know it. That project is everything that Broken Glass Studios could ever hope to achieve with TDM. Its almost daunting to think of my TDM mapping as a hobby when 8 guys are making rediculous crazy ass stuff like that and are going to end up rich for the rest of their natural lives.

Combine Infinity's work with Voxel Octree techniques:

and we could be playing Powers of Ten the video game :laugh:!

Of course, perhaps the guys from

are telling the truth and have superseded all of this... :huh:

Holy Grail, Ark Of The Covenant... some kind of quest fulfillment (some excuse to revive the thread; some keeping with the theme of the thread while bringing up {shoehorning in} another non-game thing).

Crack it open and hope for the best (the best being more than just not having your face eaten or melted off, nor all of humanity plagued, nor Gigerian microbes secreting themselves only to incubate intestinally...........)

Hayabusa! Opening Soon.

As you can read there, though, it's already been a massive success many times over. But it would be really cool to have retrieved the HG now that the crusade is finis.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Yep. They need to pull-off a similar feat in the Asteroid Belt and grab a scrape of some precious mineral (Platinum?) so that some venture capitalists will fund a mining operation. :)

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting this thread for some more holy grail tech.

I've been enjoying New Scientist's YouTube uploads.

One thing that caught my eye, 3D holgraphic video:

No glasses. No head-aches after long exposure. Full 3D the way mother nature intended, with old fashioned phase difference in light waves. Now if they could get it on a flat screen, in multiple color channels, and sharpened and clarified the images (it looks like early b/w tv), then this could be the ticket to that holy grail tech.

(Here's another thing:

)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Development in that field is finally picking up pace!

I still think we will have 20-view parallax barrier displays before true holography because it will be very cumbersome to bath real scenes (and actors) in interference beams while shooting a movie (totally photo-realistic CGI would probably be needed for holo-movies except for toons ).

I suppose a hybrid approach would be good for stuff that projects out of the display though (kinda gimmicky)...

:)

Oh there is a thread like this?

I was some time ago in a conference where there was a presentation on DNA origamis.

That was so awesome, I was enthralled by the entire talk.

Yeah, definately a Holy Grail... I'm pretty sure we will see very impressive nanostructures generated by this technique in the future.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.