The Dark Mod Forums

Weird missing texture issue

Bikerdude

Oh, I understand what you are saying and it should go without saying btw: that you don't want anyone using your bits and pieces until you release them in the map you made them for... I think everyone would agree that's entirely correct and reasonable.

I was just having a moan about the fact that I'm expecting that I shouldn't be expecting any new missions for a couple of months because all the builders are diverted from their good and holy works by this... this... this abominable and wayward contest!

But, I'm just whinging whimsical.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just having a moan about the fact that I'm expecting that I shouldn't be expecting any new missions for a couple of months because all the builders are diverted from their good and holy works by this... this... this abominable and wayward contest!

LOL, that's entirely reasonable and understandable young man.

Theres a bright side aida. The TDM mappers have been derailed from mapping to do more mapping. Torwards the end of the contest there will be a flood of FM's coming out, and then afterwards the regular WIP missions will come out soon after. This year has potential yet for many many good releases.

Theres a bright side aida. The TDM mappers have been derailed from mapping to do more mapping. Torwards the end of the contest there will be a flood of FM's coming out, and then afterwards the regular WIP missions will come out soon after. This year has potential yet for many many good releases.

We also likely pass the number of FMs ever released for TD within this year :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

That's got to be impressive. It is interesting that according to Komag's site, there were 77 missions in the first year of T1 editing, and 36 in the first year of T2 editing. No way the first record is going to be broken (and having played some of those early TDP FMs, that might be a good thing), but the second is at least possible to approach, if not surpass.

Competition with TDS is mostly meaningless; despite heroic efforts by a lot of people, it never took off. I just reinstalled it yesterday because I wanted to be honest with myself and not let forum negativity colour my view of it. With John P.'s textures and the Minimalist Project, it actually looks gorgeous (the art direction is significantly better than the TMA default) and it does a lot of things right with the story and overall mood. But even with the patch and fan fixes, by the time I got to the end of Rutherford Castle, I was again reminded about how mantling or jumping up on things, walking along a ledge, dropping items in the presence of guards and a lot more is simply frustrating. The castle front, though? That's a gorgeous piece of architecture even if you can't interact too much with it the way you could in the TDS I imagined before the game's release that was all about huge, seamless, nonlinear maps and had a user-friendly, powerful editor.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved