The Dark Mod Forums

Contest Suggestion

Sotha

We are, at present having the TDM summer vertical contest, which in my opinion is a most excellent thing as it:

• Generates new maps for the community.
  • Encourages newcomers to try out mapping as it shows almost anyone can learn Dark Radiant
  • It really is a PR candy for TDM as it shows that the community is active, healthy and growing.

The contests show that TDM means business.

There are relatively few models in the game. A few chairs, a few tables. From a mapper point of view the options are dwindling, since everyone is using the same limited amount of furniture. There are quite low amount of prefabs as well.

So here is my suggestion (well not mine, I suppose Fidcal talked first about engineering contest):

When we have a contest next time, why won't we have a smaller contest beside it. A mapping contest like this and the previous one. Plus a small contest, like a prefab contest.

The prefab contest topics could be:

• Create cool working mechanical devices (Like PranQster's drawbridge, steam belching machines, locomotives...)
  • Create original furniture (while modeling is the way these should be done, DR could allow the creation of pompous golden throne seats, dining sets, etc)
  • Create the most beautiful skybox.
  • Create an elaborate lockbox/safe/chest/bankvault.
  • Create musical instruments.
  • Create the most elegant drawer desk/bookshelf with a secret compartment.

Prefab contest's benefits would be:

• Those who have only little time to spare could still participate in a contest.
  • A prefab project might be a manageable introduction to DR and TDM editing in general, introducing a easy inducement to try mapping.
  • The best prefabs would be incorporated to the prefab bundle that comes with TDM, increasing our assets.

This would result also in a nice two way action: map contest creates new maps for the community to play and the prefab contest creates new building blocks for the mappers to utilize.

So.. Load your guns and prepare to shoot the idea down in flames.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Sounds fine to me.

Anyone can use the editor to make prefabs, no need for external programs. Don't need to 'learn modelling', same as building a level in Dromed basically.

Plenty of textures to use (don't have to make textures)

Could be short, anybody could find time to make a prefab, alot less time consuming than even a small map.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Personally, I'd like to see some kinda of beauty contest like the one they had at ttlg one time (I think 'the clock tower' won?) That'd give people an incentive to show the dark mod at it's best and maybe draw in some more interest from the more modern oriented gamers.

EDIT: Oh and a contest where the map is a moving being, like the back of a turtle or convoy of steam powered land trains or something cool like that.

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

Yes!

I vote yes (if my vote counts :laugh:)...

A show-piece prefab contest would be great!:)

(Since there are no prizes, all you would need to do is specify a deadline... ?)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)