The Dark Mod Forums

A Movie question

grayman

I'm making a movie for my vert contest entry.

I have a priest (atdm:ai_builder_priest) who walks to his mark and starts talking. I've given him the key/value pair "cinematic/1", so he'll show up in the movie.

However, he leaves his hat behind. It stays in its original position, suspended in the air, while the hatless priest strides to his mark and says his lines.

Any clues on how to make his hat stay on his head?

I'm just using the default model.

Thanks.

Update on this ...

The default builder priest uses the head ai_head_builder_priest. His hat stays behind.

The second head choice is ai_head_builder_bishop. His hat is the same hat, and it stays behind.

The third head choice is ai_head_builder_priest_plain. His model doesn't use a separate hat model, and includes a skullcap. The skullcap has no problem staying on the priest's head in a movie.

So the third head is the only one that can be used in a movie.

Though I haven't tested with other AI, I suspect any that use a separate hat model will have the same problem.

def_attache or bind args..instructions are in the wiki I beleive.

If you're pointing me to where I can learn about changing heads, I've already tried that.

Unfortunately, the hat isn't a separate entity that I can bind to the head. You get the hat when you pick the head.

Everything looks fine in normal map mode. Priest walks, hat stays on his head. The problem occurs when I view it through a func_cameraview.

The skullcap is probably part of the AI model so shows OK. The other hats are spawned at game start so you cannot directly give them cinematic 1. There are two possible solutions I can think of:

One way that should work is this:

Extract the hat def from the pk4 into the def folder.

It is in the darkmod folder in tdm_defs01.pk4. The file in that is in def > tdm_prop_wearable_items.def

You need to extract that to darkmod/def folder (or your game folder/def)

In a plain text editor, enter the cinematic 1 to that in separate double quote marks like the other lines in there.

When you run the map it should spawn the hat from that def because it has priority over the pk4.

The other way I can think of is probably more work so only do this if the above does not work:

Use the skullcap builder (probably doesn't matter if the hat doesn't show anyway!)

Create the hat you want and position it where his head would be

Give the hat:

bind <builders name>

bindToJoint head

You are very likely to find the hat offset from where it logically looks right in Dark Radiant. If you have patience then create the head (they are under internal > AI in the entities) as a guide then place the hat, save and check it in game and keep tweaking it to the right position. The spare head will not show in game.

The solution of adding the cinematic key to the hat def didn't work.

I don't think the lack of this key is the problem. The hat shows up in the movie; it just stays put while the priest walks away.

I shortened the time I'm in the movie, to see if the hat would snap back onto the priest's head.

And it did.

So the problem is that the hat prop needs to stay bound to a moving cinematic AI.

I don't know if there's a fundamental difference between a hat prop and a hammer prop, but I changed the priest to a Builder guard, to see if other props had the same problem. His hammer moved with him when he walked, so it might just be hats, or this hat specifically.

At this point I'll stick with the skullcap priest. I lack the time right now to try solution #2.