The Dark Mod Forums

table_round_1 crashes some systems

grayman

I'm posting this as its own thread, so it sees the light of day.

Shaz had a problem with 3 missions: Somewhere Above the City, Alchemist, and The Rift. Doom3/TDM crashed before the mission briefing started. She's had no problems with any other mission.

She started a thread to alert us to this. Midnight began slicing and dicing Somewhere into halves, and at some point I got involved.

Shaz and I carried the halving to the bitter end, where I discovered that

models/darkmod/furniture/tables/table_round_1.lwo

was causing the problem.

I removed two instances of this table, built a new *.pk4, and Shaz says it comes up w/o crashing.

I checked 26 other FMs, and Somewhere is the only map using this model. (Lucky me.)

This doesn't explain why Rift or Alchemist is crashing. There's probably some other model in those that's tickling the same problem on Shaz's system.

So whoever contributed this model ought to inspect it to see if anything's amiss.

I don't see anything wrong with the model itself. There were a couple pedestal models that crashed some systems a while back...anyone remember what was wrong with them? Could be the same issue.

I don't see anything wrong with the model itself. There were a couple pedestal models that crashed some systems a while back...anyone remember what was wrong with them? Could be the same issue.

I thought it was a texture, I remember it but wasn't involved.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yeah, that was my sense as well.

This table has a unique texture from Renzatic. Could it be something simple like it's not a power of 2?

This has come up a few times, I updated the textures for this table to be power of two happy. However at the time I didnt have svn access and an extra texture was added post 1.00, which I missed.

It's the compass one iirc. I'll get to it now.

@grayman:

Since theres no fixed timeline on 1.03 I would be happy to give you the tga that you can use to replace the current 'bad' version in your FM, avoiding the crashes etc in the mean time? Otherwise just use a different skin (I think its only the compass one which I didn't get)

@grayman:

Since theres no fixed timeline on 1.03 I would be happy to give you the tga that you can use to replace the current 'bad' version in your FM, avoiding the crashes etc in the mean time? Otherwise just use a different skin (I think its only the compass one which I didn't get)

Thanks, but there's no need. I gave Shaz an updated mission without the 2 tables. They were in a hallway the player can't get to, and were simply stored furniture. Just decoration, not important at all.

Assuming she has no further problems, I'll post the new version (1.2) after the contest is over. If anyone else has the same problem, and I hear about it, I'll point them to v1.2.

Some strange news and some 'more work' news

It seems Spring did in fact fix these textures after I initially didn't see them, thought someone had! But the strange thing is that happened before 1.02 was released, but somehow they didn't manage to get into the 1.02 release. So consider them fixed - but pending the next patch :)

In other news:

It seems that the initial power-of-two run did not pick up a lot of things, I don't think it could parse DDS files... and that's a bit of a problem seeing as we do actually use those :D A number of them do seem to be 'new' contributions too, which is a bit odd to me.

There's a bunch of npot and non-mod-8 dds files, while both cases are not 'strictly' required, they are often assumed to be true (and having just written something to decode DDS/DXT I can tell you its quite annoying when this is not the case) as such to assure stability and happyness while decoding I will go and adapt my statistics script to deal with the textures too, but that'll happen sometime this week. But I can also look for other cases which we currently don't need (i.e DXT5 using explicit alpha)

I'll most likely bring this up on the dev boards in a few days tho.

The compass appears in all but 1 of the 27 maps I've been checking, so I doubt its texture is causing a problem. Assuming we're talking about the player compass.

I meant the 'medallion' version. Which is the default one :)

These crashes happen on some versions of the AMD driver and only in doom3, not prey or other tech4 games where a specularmap texture is not power of two. I've spoken to the driver guys about it and they did a whole load of testing and checking for me. But it seems that id did 'something' to cause it to happen, most likely trying to use clever tricks back when the opengl driver was completely horrible a good few years back.

For what it's worth, I've determined that the following two items appear in Rift and Alchemist, and don't appear in any of the other 25 maps I'm looking at.

moveable_loot_topaz

moveable_loot_tourmaline

Would someone just double-check these to make sure they're okay?

Every other item that appears in these two maps (which crash for Shaz) also appears in other maps (which don't crash).

Thanks.

Table round uses 2048x2048 textures, maybe her ATI+driver cannot handle this? Trying image_downscale could solve this mystery.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Nah, its just that the 1.02 release still has the problematic textures. They've been fixed in the svn.

Ah, ok, that wasn't clear from the other thread. So have you found out which other model causes the other two missions to crash?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Nah, havent really been looking. Cant reproduce the crashing and don't particularly want to explain extracting and logging disk activity to look at the last few resources loaded.

But once I figure out how to deal with swizzling and strange colour formats in DXT I should be able to look at all of our textures... gimme a day or three :)

Why am I up this early