The Dark Mod Forums

AI using elevators

grayman

I'm trying to get a patrolling AI to use an elevator.

I've read the elevator Wiki and built a small 3-floor map with the prefab elevator at one end. The elevator is the only way to change floors.

I've placed path_corners on each floor, and the AI on the first floor. His path should be from 1 to 2a to 3 to 2b to 1, using the elevator to change floors.

He marches to pc 1, then marches to a spot directly under 2a, where he stops, slides forward a bit, then walks in a loop, slides, walks in a loop, etc. He never goes near the elevator.

His CanUseElevator flag is true by default.

This is with 1.02. I want to make sure it works properly before testing it with my 1.03 interleaved thinking changes.

Does anyone know of an existing map with an elevator on a patrol route that I can examine?

Or does anyone know of something else that needs to be done in addition to using what comes with the prefab elevator?

Thanks.

There's a test/elevator map on SVN. I think it's the one greebo originally used to demonstrate the behaviour.

All I was missing was an aas32_flood entity on each floor. Didn't see that mentioned anywhere. Now my map works perfectly. Nice feature, AIs using elevators.

I searched for "aas32_flood" on the forum and found this quote from greebo:

... if the AI can reach the second floor only by elevators, no AAS information will be generated by the map compiler by default (it is unaware of elevators and will think the AI cannot reach this cluster/area). To force AAS area calculation for a specific visportal cluster, place an "aas32_flood" entity in the second floor - this will make the map compiler think there are entities in there using aas32.

So the aas32_flood is only needed on floors where there are no other AI, and which are only reachable by elevators.

Two more suggestions for the Wiki if you think they're useful:

1) If there's a gap between the edge of the elevator platform and the neighboring floor, it's possible for the AI to step into that gap and momentarily drop down. Avoid this by closing the gap.

2) Make sure the AI has room to stand in front of a fetch button. A button tucked into a corner or surrounded by other architecture that hinders the AI will prevent the AI from using the button if he needs to fetch the elevator.