The Dark Mod Forums

Instant Drag-n-Drop image sharing

minus

Hi

Sorry if this post sounds spammy at all, just wanted to get the word out there :) Hope the mods will be kind.

My name is John Xie, co-founder of a new startup http://Min.us or Minus created in mid-October that enables Drag-n-Drop sharing of photo/image galleries and soon to be documents and more. Our goal is to revolutionize the way sharing is done by making it "Simple + Minimal".

Please take a look and try http://Min.us or sample Gallery: http://min.us/mvggz1T for yourself as it is a free service. Best experience is using Firefox 3.6+, Google Chrome or Safari on Mac :)

While we're only 2 months old, we're definitely here to stay! Looking forward to everyones response and hope you can help spread the word on our service!

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

John@min.us

Happy Holidays everyone!

That is extremely fast. I hope that is truly the future, Imageshack is annoying to use imo. Good luck there Minus.

Thanks!! Please send us suggestions and help us spread the word. Appreciate it.

Gave it a look but it must not support FF3.5.5 (I got the alert text label).

Please upgrade to v3.6 firefox at least :)

Well, enjoy it while you can. All of these "wow! new! great!" sites get you hooked, and then slowly make incremental changes to "support the site" (make money) at the detriment of usability (the reason you went there in the first place). Then everyone stops using it (imageshack) and someone else takes over for their moment in the sun. It's like... the "internet website cycle of life." Think of any of your favorite news or weather sites, gaming or sports sites, music sites, hosting sites, etc. They all eventually succumb to the advertising (or worse) monster. Face it: no one's doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. And the same will happen to this one.

*gauntlet thrown*

Well, enjoy it while you can. All of these "wow! new! great!" sites get you hooked, and then slowly make incremental changes to "support the site" (make money) at the detriment of usability (the reason you went there in the first place). Then everyone stops using it (imageshack) and someone else takes over for their moment in the sun. It's like... the "internet website cycle of life." Think of any of your favorite news or weather sites, gaming or sports sites, music sites, hosting sites, etc. They all eventually succumb to the advertising (or worse) monster. Face it: no one's doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. And the same will happen to this one.

*gauntlet thrown*

I understand, however we're here to stay and stay* minimal, I promise =)

• 4 months later...

Heya! The new http://Min.us is here. Be sure to check out out.

Feature Highlights:

- Instant Search (Find users + Search through your own + friends' galleries)

- New Profiles ( ex: http://min.us/u/john )

- Timeline on homepage

- Gallery browse using mouse scroll + copy to clipboard icon

- and more more!

The full changelog here: http://blog.min.us

All suggestions and feedback are welcome =)

Thanks

John

Well, since you've mentioned.. ;) If the idea is fast and easy sharing, if this had a screen capture/crop functionality I wouldn't need another image sharing site in my life!

edit: For reference, I've been using this: http://www.uploadscreenshot.com But it's not very practical, it gives several links EXCEPT the direct one, so I have to select the address out of one of those links.

Edited by Diego

You got to love advertisement.. The site's owner gets money, you get a "free" service (you pay with attention) and the advertisers win your attention. It's the miracle of capitalism \o/

But I'm (partially) kidding, I know what you mean and I seen this happen several times. It's a pitty, though. It's not that hard to put ads that doesn't ruin the service/experience. For example, when youtube had ads on the sides was ok! when they migrated to the actual frame of the video they started digging their own grave.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started using this way more than imageshack. The hosting on imageshack kept compressing my files so much you couldn't read the text on them. Plus it's way easier to upload with drag and drop. This is probably the only spam post that I've ever listened to :D

• 4 weeks later...

very fast!

Thanks! We're doing our best ^_^

I've started using this way more than imageshack. The hosting on imageshack kept compressing my files so much you couldn't read the text on them. Plus it's way easier to upload with drag and drop. This is probably the only spam post that I've ever listened to :D

Glad you like http://min.us :D!!

You got to love advertisement.. The site's owner gets money, you get a "free" service (you pay with attention) and the advertisers win your attention. It's the miracle of capitalism \o/

But I'm (partially) kidding, I know what you mean and I seen this happen several times. It's a pitty, though. It's not that hard to put ads that doesn't ruin the service/experience. For example, when youtube had ads on the sides was ok! when they migrated to the actual frame of the video they started digging their own grave.

We will have monetization strategies soon, but advertisement is not likely to happen :)

Well, since you've mentioned.. ;) If the idea is fast and easy sharing, if this had a screen capture/crop functionality I wouldn't need another image sharing site in my life!

edit: For reference, I've been using this: http://www.uploadscreenshot.com But it's not very practical, it gives several links EXCEPT the direct one, so I have to select the address out of one of those links.

Also take a look @ http://min.us/pages/tools !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope the dev still is looking at this thread. I think a good idea would be to have a feature to convert TGA files to jpg automatically after dragging and dropping them. It's a pain having to convert doom's tga -> jpg.

Soon I'll commit TDM version which saves screenshots as jpg-s. I hope ;).

As for uploading images: I seldom use such services and usually ImageShack is enough for me. But today I noticed that ImageShack downsized 1280x1024 screenshots I wanted to show for quality comparison. So I decided to try min.us. It works perfectly, thanks to min.us owner!

Well, enjoy it while you can. All of these "wow! new! great!" sites get you hooked, and then slowly make incremental changes to "support the site" (make money) at the detriment of usability (the reason you went there in the first place).
We will have monetization strategies soon, but advertisement is not likely to happen

And there it is. (not that it was rocket science or anything; plain simple inevitability). The drug dealer analogy fits nicely, imo. ^_^

Reasonable advertising is preferable to subscription charges (thus the "(or worse)" from my original quote).