The Dark Mod Forums

AI can't open sliding doors

grayman

Has anyone used a sliding door in their map that AI needed to go through?

I noticed in my movement testing that they couldn't open a sliding door, so I went back to 1.02 and 1.03 and they can't do it there either.

If I open the door for them, they can walk through and properly shut it from the other side. But when they circle back to it, they stand in front of it and make no attempt to open it.

I don't know of any FM where there's been one that AI use.

Might be worth trying a atdm:door_handling_position and door_handle_position on the door in case the AI cannot get into the correct normal position. Where is the origin of the translating door in your test.

I don't know of any FM where there's been one that AI use.

Might be worth trying a atdm:door_handling_position and door_handle_position on the door in case the AI cannot get into the correct normal position. Where is the origin of the translating door in your test.

It's on the floor, midway on one of the ends. Normal place for a rotating door; it just slides, though.

I'll try your suggestion.

Works perfectly now. Thanks.

Excuse me, but how exactly did you get this to work?

I have an odd (not a standard door) shaped sliding door, which have door_handle_position_1 and door_handle_position_1 spawnargs, which target atdm:door_handling_position entities on the both sides of the "door." The AI do not care about the atdm:door_handling_positions, they just walk into the door and get stuck.

Is it because of my strange shaped door or just something obvious I'm doing wrong?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Assuming that's a typo in your post and you mean _1 and _2 not _1 and _1, I wonder if that is a case where the AI choose the wrong one? In the wiki it says of using two positions that AI should choose the correct one but likely it was never tested with a sliding door. You might try temporarily changing the door to a rotator to see if it is a translator issue. Even try swapping the entities to opposite sides though hard to see why that would make any difference.

If it works with a rotator then a horrible bodge fix might be two doors. A nodraw rotator with a visible translator door with ai_should_not_handle set with frob_peer, open_peer, lock_peer to if it is lockable.

Assuming that's a typo in your post and you mean _1 and _2 not _1 and _1, I wonder if that is a case where the AI choose the wrong one?

Yeah yeah, typo. I got door_handle_position_1 and door_handle_position_2. The targetting do not contain typos.

In the wiki it says of using two positions that AI should choose the correct one but likely it was never tested with a sliding door. You might try temporarily changing the door to a rotator to see if it is a translator issue. Even try swapping the entities to opposite sides though hard to see why that would make any difference.

If it works with a rotator then a horrible bodge fix might be two doors. A nodraw rotator with a visible translator door with ai_should_not_handle set with frob_peer, open_peer, lock_peer to if it is lockable.

Tried a rotating door. It works from the other side, but the AI seems to ignore the door handle position from the other side. The door does not have a visportal, which may hamper the detection of the handle positions?

Clipper

Don't know. I have at least one door with two positions and I thought it was working correctly. The AI still got log-jammed but they did so from the correct positions! I think I've resolved the log-jamming by diverting some to another doorway. They should have gone that way anyway but I found some stray monsterclip from upstairs part blocking it. I could not figure out why the nobles preferred the longer way via the servant's corridors!

Is this a dark mod bug instead if a mission bug? Better report it, not that it is any of my business.

I am unsure. It probably works if the door is of normal shape (as reported by grayman). If the mapper builds a really odd shaped door (like I did) this will present problems. So maybe it is both a map bug and a TDM bug.

Clipper

Excuse me, but how exactly did you get this to work?

I followed the wiki instructions. My door is just a simple sliding door, though. I haven't tried anything more complicated.

The door-handling code determines which side of the door (relative to the AI) each door_handling_position is on. It will send the AI to the one on the near side of the door, where the AI can then open the door.

As long as you use spawnargs on the door that start with "door_handling_position", it's supposed to work. I'm using:

door_handling_position

door_handling_position1

And each has the name of one of the two door_handling_position entities, placed on either side of the door.

Has anyone used a sliding door in their map that AI needed to go through?

I noticed in my movement testing that they couldn't open a sliding door, so I went back to 1.02 and 1.03 and they can't do it there either.

If I open the door for them, they can walk through and properly shut it from the other side. But when they circle back to it, they stand in front of it and make no attempt to open it.

Yes, I used a double-sliding door in my FM, on the 2nd floor of Damuddy's house.

I got it to work, the AI could open it and walk through, but IIRC I had to be careful with the "start_closed" "1" part. If you get it wrong, they won't understand to open it.

If you're really having trouble, open my FM (Patently Dangerous) in DR and see how I did mine because it works.

Edit:

Works perfectly now. Thanks.

Oh didn't see this. Nevermind.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.