The Dark Mod Forums

My Voice samples!

pusianka

Either I dont know how to edit own topics or there is no such option implemented here. Anyway here are my first samples I won't call them perfect since they are far from what I think I can do with my voice but I wish to show you guys anything so taht you know that my words are not empty. I deciced to choose 2 briefings from well known FMs, I hope you like my interpretation of them. Here is a link to .rar file with 2 .wav sounds:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KMDJTFHP

You can bite me for every word, I will work on every sylable if I'll have to ;)!

P.S.: If everything goes well you'll get a part of shakespeare monologue that I learned, tomorrow.

I gave 'em a listen.

You have a nice voice. Voice-wise you could certainly fill in a young man vocal set. However, the texts were like excerpts from a read-out-loud diary. For voice acting you need to also have the acting part. Your samples do not give indication how well you can portray emotions.

"What was that [voice shivering slightly with fear]"

"I'm gonna cut you like a cornish game-hen [voice filled with rage, spit flying.]"

I think the main problem will be your strong accent.

"I'll be goink out of town today. At the foot of the mountainSS lies an olT buildder outpouSt."

You have this russian/polish sounding accent, which limits your voice's use possibilities greatly. When I heard you I instantly felt you would fit perfectly for a WWII diary for a young russian soldier or similar. For dark mod world I'm not sure. I'll let others to comment. Could there be a "Foreign Accent" vocal set?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

edit: d'oh! ninja'd for the most part.

unfortunately (imo of course) there is simply no substitute for a native english speaker for main character or native bridgeport AI voice acting in TDM. Regardless of accent, it does sound a little bit like your reading a story book to 3rd graders, complete with pauses that are a little overdone, and the pace is a little slow.

That aside, I don't think its a hopeless cause. A foreign pirate or tourist/visitor/merchant might suit you well, with a little work.

Edited by ungoliant

It's only the briefing so tryed not to go overexcited with it. It is just to show my voice with it's tone. I am aware of my accent but I fight with it and I hope my Shakespeare part will be more convincing for you.

Sotha what you pointed out was caused mostly by being a little in a hurry I didn't even cut it correctly I admit.

Is my accent really so hitting you when you listen to it?

Is my accent really so hitting you when you listen to it?

It is quite strong and instantaneously apparent. I know it is really difficult to hide it, so I think it needs to be part of the character you're portraying.

Just curious, what is your nationality?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I like your voice, I'm not a native speaker, and sometimes I have problems with reading/listening, but your voice is very clear. It will need a bit more emotions, but that shouldn't be that hard.

But just like what Sotha said, there is the accent.

Pusianka, can you do a line with an exaggerated Polish accent? Like:

"Mister Farrell, I am here on a matter of great personal importance."

You don't need to exaggerate to the point that it sounds silly, but it should be noticable that the person you are speaking is from abroad.

Edited by 7upMan

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

ok so as requested here is the "Mister Farrell..." line. It's pretty hard to say if I am exaggerating my accent so I created 4 voice samples, as numbers in names show 1,2,3,4 these are the attempts one by one.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9HJTZVAC

(it might say that you have to wait for file. Just wait a little and it should pop up when refreshed.)

Please don't take this badly, but I'll write phonetically what I heard in each one.

MF1. Mister Farrell, I'm herenamadderf...rate...pare-sonal importonce.

MF2. Mister Farrul, I'm here-un a matter off great parse-sonal importonce.

MF3. Mister Farrul, I'm here onna madderoff great pessinal importunce.

MF4. Mister Farrell, I'm here on a madder off great pessinal importunce. (This one sounds the most natural to me)

Compare to my American midwestern accent. (Raw footage, with a light compressor)

It's not necessarily that your accent is too 'thick'. It's just that hearing a voice through a microphone accentuates everything. Careful pronunciation is always good. When I record musicians and vocalists, I usually advise them to exaggerate their pronunciation just a little.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

We learn every day, don't we :). Thanks mortem I'll work on it. Your pronouciation is really good that's something I missed in this line, because there are too many sounds that are not very familiar with my language. "rl" is esspecially the sound that is hard to spell right ;)

Pusianka, I gave your lines (and Mortem's) a listen, and I agree that MF4 ist the best of the bunch. I think that following Mortem's advice would make it perfect.

But, say, do you have a cold? You seem to speak through your nose (just as I do, because hay fever totally gets me at this time of year). If it helps, you can wait with recording until the worst part of the season is over.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.