The Dark Mod Forums

Texture alignment on patches

Santaclaus

Hey, a .. missing feature here?

In GTK Radiant you have an option named "CAP" for patches, which would "align" the textures as if on a normal brush. As you can see in the image below, it doesn't "align" correctly regardless of how I make the caps for the bevel.. So, is this a missing feature or am I missing something? :)

patchtextureprob.png

Edited by Santaclaus

Dark Radiant needs to know what you're trying to align it to. Create a standard brush alongside this patch and select the adjacent face of the brush, then select 'Copy Shader' from the Edit menu. Hit Esc and select the cap, then use 'Paste Shader' from the Edit menu.

This (and other features for patches) is covered in the Wiki: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Patches#Archways

Edited by Midnight

Yeah thanks, that does the trick :)

But, another thing, look at image below. Cutting it works fine, but when you .. do like below, the textures on the non-flat faces gets thrown off, can't manage to get them aligned automatically again, is there a way or is it a bug?

otherprob.png

The problem there is it is aligning from a flat perspective top down but you have an angle.

couple ways to fix.

1: select the angled face. bring up surface editor, make the x and y even numbers (ie 1, or .25, whatever the other textures are scaled at), then manually align as needed.

2: texture editor (not to be confused with material editor) (you can edit the verts of all those faces just like a 3d programs uv editor.) Not as powerful as 3d uv tools but should work just fine with simple geometry like that.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

eh..? I've been using GTK\NetRadiant for years... This is 100% automated, and IF you would happen to mess up, you just click "axial" which is relatively similar to "natural" except that pretty much everything except patches align up then. This is a weird kind of thing imo, and when doing maps spending like a minute\about 20 seconds realigning a texture every time you do clip\move the brushes around, that's simply awfully clumsy..

Just so we're clear, if you make two separate brushes in diff locations and whatnot, it doesn't "scan" through and automatically fixes it of course. BUT when you divide an already aligned brush into multiple, and move the parts around using vertex tool or whatever, it OF COURSE keeps the textures matching. darkradiant on the other hand seems to rotate\move it around the instant you move the brush.. A bug or a serious flaw imo.

Edited by Santaclaus

Just thought I should mention that there's a texture lock button on the surface inspector (press S to bring this up) that stops texture alignment from changing when you move a brush. Not sure if this will solve the issue in your example image though.

Well, it sounds like a nice feature.

It must change the angle of projection to always stay the same as before vert editting.

I believe DR (and Hammer) just keep the old angle.

So if your brush is aligned to top view, then you angle it down it's still aligned to top view. (thus stretching because face is no longer flush to alignment.

In GTK it must keep the alignment the brush had relative to the face, not the viewport.

-----------

It's also possible it can be done. Greebo does the work on DR so post in the Dark Radiant wishlist thread and he might see it possible to add/fix.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/3499-wishlist-for-darkradiant/

It's really up to him whether or not he has the time to fix. He is more than capable of figuring these things out.

I'll just code it myself.. :)

Was just wondering whether or not it's THERE so to say, like the patch feature which was.. Darkradiant is built from gtk radiant which handles it perfectly, so it doesn't make sense to me that such a useful feature that I take for granted is missing/removed..

And no, it's not about texture lock. It's about darkradiant messing up the texture alignment when you make a FLAT ( _ ) brush into a non flat ( / ) brush..

I really think it depends on branches. DR is heavily modified with a Dromed leaning (the engine for Thief 1/2). If that feature wasn't in the first branch it started from...

I can't say if anything was removed or not, probably not.

Also, nobody has mentioned it as far as I know, so wasn't added. You can tell from my first response that I was unaware of that feature, I have used quite a few engines and none had it.

If you can code it and hand the code off to greebo I'm sure he be glad to plug it in to his code. Or maybe you can PM him directly about the issue. I don't code at all myself so not sure where to start really.

Does seem like a nice feature and I'm sure many mappers would be happy to have it.

We're always short of coders too, greebo is about the last currently active one I believe so any help he can get is greatly appreciated I'm sure. (Well, I guess Bikerdude has stepped up more recently to do some coding for AI)