The Dark Mod Forums

Sir Taffsalot's mapping thread

Sir Taffsalot

I've got guis/assets/hud/inventory_icons/knife.tga

The spawnarg should be:

"inv_icon" "guis/assets/hud/inventory_icons/knife"

with no ".tga" on the end.

AFAIK,

TDM will first look in <mymission>/dds/guis/assets/hud/inventory_icons/ for a file named knife.dds,

and if it's not found, TDM will then look in <mymission>/guis/assets/hud/inventory_icons/ for a file named knife.tga,

and if it's not found, TDM will look in darkmod/dds/guis/assets/hud/inventory_icons/ for a file named knife.dds,

and if it's not found, TDM will then look in darkmod/guis/assets/hud/inventory_icons/ for a file named knife.tga

Great!

What comes to entitydefs, they are definitions for you custom entities. Say you want to create your own custom playertool, you write a mapname.def and put it into defs/ folder inside your mission. If you put this in darkmod/defs DR will sense the presence of the file and your custom entities are available for selection in the DR entities list among all the stock entities.

The entity def file itself is pretty much the same collection of spawnargs your entities normal entities have in DR. But yeah, you can achieve all the benefits of this entitydef method by simply editing the entities you did now in DR. Entitydef way is useful if you have a lot of complex new custom entities.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

All my readables work fine. I have an objective that is completed once a readable is read. Once I make this objecvtive the text for said olbjective dissapears and acannot be frobbed. Does anyone have an explanation?

I had this exact same objective set up in my last FM and I had no issues at all.

Was hoping to get this out there for beta testing this weekend.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I have an objective that is completed once a readable is read. Once I make this objecvtive the text for said olbjective dissapears and acannot be frobbed.

Hm? I don't get this.

The objective is completed once the readable is read. (Thats okay, right?)

You make the objective? What text disappears? The text in the objective list? What cannot be frobbed? The book?

While I'm confused, I thinks there was a bug that if you have readables with same inventory name in the inventory, you cannot close the readable anymore, nor read anymore readables. Is that the case? Else, please be more specific that what you do and what fails.

Clipper

Is this book that's giving you trouble an immobile readable or mobile?

If it can no longer be frobbed, how can you tell it's blank?

I think we need more specifics. Spawnargs for the readable, a snapshot of the objective from the objective editor, and a step-by-step of what the player is supposed to do when encountering this book, and what's actually happening.

If we can't figure it out from that, a pre-beta package where we could examine the book, the objectives, and try to reproduce the problem is the next step.

I tried assinging the objective to a readable that does show up fine in game. During dmap my computer locked up. This is a joke. I've been working on the damn thing since january and it won't work because of the readables? Well I'm so happy I invested so much time into this and I'm so inspired to invest more of my time after this rewarding experience!

The Joker

post-3947-0-14636500-1345330276_thumb.jpg

Here'swhat appears in gamew. a readable with no text and I can't frob it. All other readables appear and work fine. Just this one that I need for an objective to be complete doenst.

This does indeed smell like a bug. Can you extract the readable into a small testmap, and then set it to the objective so we can look at this?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

TDM won't display readable text in dim light.

He wrote the readable works fine when not being an objective, so that is probably not the reason.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hm... So the problem is this, please confirm:

There is a readable that can be read. When it is read, the objective dealing with the readable completes. After that, the readable cannot be read anymore? Is the readable moveable?

What if you make a separate copy of the map and disable the objective. Can the book be read repeatably after that? If yes, then the objective interferes with the book somehow, which feels unlikely. If no, then there is something weird with the book. Maybe an overlapping inventory name or something. Is the book moveable? Please post book spawnargs. (You can do it easily by opening the .map in a text editor and finding the entityname with the search function.)

I can understand your frustration, but it is very important you remain calm as strong negative feelings are known to be very detrimental to problem solving skills. If this is the one last problem with the map, be happy: all we gotta do is squash this bastard and your map is finally ready, a moment of great joy.

Clipper

I have no idea what's going on. I deleted the readable that was causing me trouble and just created a new one. Now it can't be frobbed. There's no objective set up for it. nothing. It just can't be frobbed. All other readables work fine. There is no work around for this either. This is the final objective and the readable is essential for story line purposes.

post-3947-0-75906500-1345366637_thumb.jpg

The Joker

Apparently I can't create readables anymore. I just made a room with a light and readable in it. I can't frob the readable. Unless I start creating FMs that have no readables my FM making days are over.

The Joker

The book that's right infront of where the player spawns will not highlight and can't be frobbed. All other readables work fine. Deleting it and making a new one causes the same problem.

Here's a link to my map and xdata files.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sxrn9d98azsd5u1

The Joker