The Dark Mod Forums

Requiem Avenging Angel:

Bikerdude

Morning taffers

I just got a Pm from "TheUnbeholden" over on moddb..

TheUnbeholden Jul 31 2011, 1:26pm says: And since your a Doom 3 modder... Theres this mod on Quake 4 (which uses the same engine as Doom 3)....

Its called Requiem Avenging Angel and its based on the old game of the same name.

I loved the concept of Requiem: Avenging Angel, I have not seen a game like it (except maybe the force powers from Jedi Knight are a little similar to this and some creepy other creepy FPS shooter could be a little similar) but really there is no game out there like Requiem... hell vs heaven? Angels/demons fighting with guns and swords, with unique powers most not seen in any other game? I would have loved to see this mod make it, even the visual style seems unique. To recreate and improve greatly something that was original. The developers of it have finally given up after so much work done realizing it was to much to do. They are willing to pass this on to someone else, any group out there semi-interested in this should make sure to pick it up. Alot of work has already been done on it.

So as DR can now open Q4 maps we should be able to import the maps etc. All the other resource/assets I imagine should be very usable..

I have PM'd '_MAX_' who is one of the RAA team members to see if they would be up for giving us a copy of the mod w/all assets etc.

Hello

I'm a beta mapper for The Darkmod team, I just got a Pm from 'TheUnbeholden" saying you guys are dropping out, which is sad I must say. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel of sorts. I would like to ask on behalf of my team for a copy of of all of the assets, as we have the ability to open q4 & d3 maps with our map editor (Darkradiant) so would be able to import/repurpose all the map levels you guys built etc.

We have the ability in TDM to make campaigns, we now also have Mages, so of the top of my head we could have a magic/mage/dungeon themed mission/campaign based on RAA etc.

kind regards

biker

ATM the 371MB texture pack in public domain and here is the download link

Should I reinstall Quake 4 to check out the custom maps? I thought I'd never see a mod made for it as I didn't think it was popular so I uninstalled it as soon as I finished it.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Edit: And if we can use them, does a texture expert need to review and bless them first?

Nope, so long as you promise to check them out, make sure the normals are 24bit, the diffuses are DXT1/5 and the rest of that, also just make sure the normalmaps actually make some sense and dont just highlight random stuff - but I'll check them anyway once they're in the svn. Because I'm a terrible OCD nut like that, yup yup.

There's also 300mb of other textures in the new version, and some really really nice stuff in that :)

Nope, so long as you promise to check them out, make sure the normals are 24bit, the diffuses are DXT1/5 and the rest of that, also just make sure the normalmaps actually make some sense and dont just highlight random stuff - but I'll check them anyway once they're in the svn. Because I'm a terrible OCD nut like that, yup yup.

There's also 300mb of other textures in the new version, and some really really nice stuff in that :)

I know how to create a texture set, but I don't know how to read the current settings. How do I find out the density of a tga, and how do I tell if a dds was compressed using DXT1/5?

Where's the "new version"? Is that the one Biker linked to above?

No clue about the new version, I haven't downloaded/looked at this yet. I was just replying to your question :)

As for getting format specific info : The easiest way is to use XnView - It's pretty good with general info like that, as well as browsing large sets. (I use the minimal version, not too sure on the differences, but it supports pretty much everything). Our normalmaps use 24bit (8 per RGB channel, no alpha), The diffuse should contain the alpha information, if they need to have soft/detailed alpha they should be using DXT5, if they just need simple alpha testing, DXT1 is fine, it's NOT worth converting between DXT versions, since it's lossy and you'll just lose more detail than its really worth. And finally specular should be DXT1.

XnView can write DDS, however I've never really used it as Compressonator still results in the best results in regards to detail preservation.