The Dark Mod Forums

EarlyTaffer / DarkMod noob, Install trouble

EarlyTaffer

Ok I've read the install wiki.

I seemed to get the whole 205Gb enchalada, but in my Win7 64 bit Windows\SysWOW64 folder! Huh? Ok so I moved them to my C:\...\Doom3\DarkMod\system folder.

tdmlauncherexe appears to do nothing. but I found tdmlauncherlog:

Path to tdmlauncher is C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\Dark Mod\System\tdmlauncher.exe

Darkmod directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\Dark Mod\System\

Darkmod directory after normalisation is C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\Dark Mod\System

Trying default value for engine executable: C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\Dark Mod\DOOM3.exe

Could not find engine executable at default locations, will be searching command line arguments for a path to doom3 executable.

Engine path after normalisation is C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\Dark Mod\DOOM3.exe

Could not find 'currentfm.txt' file in C:/Program Files (x86)/DOOM 3/Dark Mod/System/currentfm.txt

Current FM is:

Using the following argument vector:

#0: +set

#1: fs_game

#2: darkmod

Starting process C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\Dark Mod\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game darkmod

Error spawning the D3 process: No such file or directory

Closing logfile.

Paths in the log file are correct for my install

The missing file "currentfm.txt" is not found anywhere on my system, but from its filename I suspect that's no surprise

So what other files are missing? Or is there another step I am missing?

How do I succeed in installing the DarkMod so I can start taffing (or whatever you DarkModders call it)

Thanks

EarlyTaffer

I suspect your Doom3.exe should not be in this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\Dark Mod\DOOM3.exe

but rather in this one : C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\DOOM3.exe

Only the darkmod files should be in the doom3/darkmod directory. Also, though I'm not positive about a Windows installation, I believe the Doom3 and Darkmod directories normally do not have spaces in their names.

Then you should have something like this to be run: C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM3\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game darkmod

...While all of the darkmod stuff should be in this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM3\darkmod\

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Thanks for the quick reply

Muddled through a bit farther and scoured the DarkMod install log. Found a few other files

that needed to be moved. Nixed the Darkmod\system sub folder too.

Guess I somehow oopsed the install folder choice.

With the missing files in place loads fine now :)

EarlyTaffer

Edited by EarlyTaffer

Ok, still no joy

TDM loaded throught the Doom3 load screen choosing the mods tab. Then TDM allowed choosing the training mission, again it only appears on the Doom3 mods tab.

Restarting TDM begins with the Doom3 load choice screen but now choosing either the DarkMod or the now selectable traning mission I get a C++ runtime error in Doom3.exe

I Doom3 was operating before, such as it is (head still spinning) and I have patched it from TDM's (your) link to DOOM3-1.3.1 before my TDM install. Doom3 still runs such as it is (stomach still churning) It appears there's still somthing bad in my TDM install

Any good ideas anyone?

Also, is the only "way" into TDM throught the Doom3 mods tab choice? Or is there something a bit more direct i.e. a switch or .cfg file command / tweak so that you that can load directly into TDM (still have the DOOM3 hangover and don't like the memories...).

Thanks!

EarlyTaffer

Edited by EarlyTaffer

Also, is the only "way" into TDM throught the Doom3 mods tab choice?

No, you probably shouldn't run it through D3 mods...I would imagine that might cause problems. Just create a shortcut to tdmlauncer.exe and you can start the mod directly without seeing anything vaguely related to D3. :)

But that IS where tdmlauncher.exe sends me!

(using no user selected parameters, whatever is default)

So what is going wrong?

tdmlauncher.log below:

Path to tdmlauncher is C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\Dark Mod\tdmlauncher.exe

Darkmod directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\Dark Mod\

Darkmod directory after normalisation is C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\Dark Mod

Trying default value for engine executable: C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\DOOM3.exe

Found engine executable in C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\DOOM3.exe

Engine path after normalisation is C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\DOOM3.exe

Current FM is: training_mission

Using the following argument vector:

#0: +set

#1: fs_game

#2: training_mission

#3: +set

#4: fs_game_base

#5: darkmod

Starting process C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game training_mission +set fs_game_base darkmod

Closing logfile.

Edited by EarlyTaffer

Ok finally found the problem.

The DM subdirectory folder name *_must_* be "darkmod" (PranQster thought such in his above reply).

Mine was "Dark Mod". Caps are probably ignored (untested) but the space was not.

Maybe add some emphasis in the install help files / FAQ?

Thanks for the help

EarlyTaffer

Edited by EarlyTaffer