The Dark Mod Forums

severe video issues on restart

DookTibs

Hi - I'm experiencing a problem with video display when restarting D3/TDM.

Background: I'm running a Intel i7 Mac with OSX Lion, 10.7.2. Doom 3 (retail box, not app store version) has been installed with the 1.3.1revA patch, in /Applications/Doom 3/. I believe I've gone through all the proper steps linking ~/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/ to that installation as detailed here (http://wiki.thedarkm...tall_on_Mac_OSX). Doom 3 on its own appears to be running ok although I only played for about 5 minutes...only bought the thing to play TDM!

Anyway here's the problem. Whenever I restart the game, I have severe video corruption. I see parts of my desktop, parts of TDM appear but are split/cloned, etc. I can reproduce every time by just launching TDM via /Applications/Doom 3/darkmod/tdmlauncher_helper.command, going into settings, and hitting restart game. I shot a small video b/c it's easier to see it than to try to explain it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6AshvVI5o&feature=youtu.be

Frankly I'm relieved I can even navigate to the quit menu on the corrupted restart version :-)

I first noticed the problem when trying to install the training fan mission; when TDM tried to restart, I'd see this behavior. But, it happens no matter what triggers the restart. If I manually launch TDM again it is fine on the initial launch, but the fan mission never appears as installed.

Any ideas on what's going on here or a workaround? Ideally I can get this problem fixed, but if not, is it possible to fully manually install a fan mission without requiring TDM to restart? That would sorta sidestep the issue at least.

Thx for any help!

What kind of GPU have you got? Is it a dedicated (NVidia/ATI), or the integrated Sandy Bridge one? Does this happen when you play in different resolutions or with different antialiasing settings? I'm not a Mac guy, but I remember Bikerdude got TDM running on a modern Intel GPU and it was actually sort of playable. My bet is that the OpenGL acceleration of the Mac OS desktop is some how interfering with D3.

Don't know if you can turn that feature of Mac OS off... You might try seeing if this happens in other games, disabling desktop 3d acceleration (if possible) and updating your drivers.

On Linux, we turn off our desktop compositing when gaming to get better performance.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

It's strange that the FM doesn't stay installed, the information is written to currentfm.txt well before restarting. It should do two things: first copy the PK4 into the mod folder ~/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/training_mission (for instance) and then save the name of the FM to currentfm.txt. That file should be in ~/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/currentfm.txt. The next time you hit tdmlauncher it should load the FM name from the .txt file and start D3 with the correct parameters.

Possible workaround:

Manual FM Installation

As example I use "alchemist":

Copy the mission PK4 from ~/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/fms/alchemist/ into ~/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/alchemist/ as well as the DoomConfig.cfg file and the config.spec file, which can be found in the darkmod/ folder.

Then edit the currentfm.txt file and typein "alchemist".

Restart the game using tdmlauncher, and if that doesn't work there's the possibility of

Starting up TDM without TDM Launcher

Open a terminal and head to the location where Doom 3 is installed, I think this is /Applications/Doom 3/Doom 3.app/Contents/MacOS/Doom 3 +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game alchemist

Does any of this work?

@Dooktibs, if that was on a PC I would say that the game is trying to select an unsupported resolution. As Greebo has hinted at, check your "doomconfig.config" file and mask sure the resolution in there is the same as that the mac desktop is set too. Also as per LS's request whatgpu are you running on that mac? to find out go to the top left hand corner and then about mac..

Thx for all the suggestions. My GPU is AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB RAM. It looks like the problem was an incorrect resolution. I had tried a few different combinations but I was mainly trying lower ones (640x480px, 4x3 aspect for instance)...I now switched to 16x9 aspect, 1920x1080px, same as my monitor, and I can now restart/install a mission/play. Very strange that it would let the game launch the first time and only screw up on the restart? Oh well.

So I'm getting closer, and it's no longer a video problem. But now here's what I'm running into:

1. launch TDM, download a mission, let's say Crown of Penitence. A folder ~/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/fms/crown_of_penitence gets created including a pk4.

2. in game I install Crown of Penitence. A folder ~/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/crown_of_penitence/ is now created. I can start the mission, play around, save a game, etc. ~/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/currentfm.txt now reads "crown_of_penitence".

3. if I quit and restart, when I go back into TDM, it tells me I have no mission installed. Crown of Penitence and Training Mission are both available to be installed, and both show that they are still taking up space. If I reinstall them, I can then load a saved game for them.

Is this expected behavior, or should TDM know I have crown_of_penitence installed until I explicitly uninstall/install a different mission? This is a really minor issue now; since I can save and load games it doesn't make a huge difference, but I'd like to get it working "right" if possible.

Thanks for all the help so far!

As with the other thread...

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/13360-installing-on-a-mac/

Try reinstalling Doom 3 in a path with no space in the name such as:

Applications/Doom3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)