The Dark Mod Forums

New animation idea: lean on balustrade

Tels

Here is an idea that might be simple to make (I am not an animator, so forgive me if it is ridiculous :)

At the start of this video, after about 30 seconds or so he leans on a railing and peers across/down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vNTeiJzzQGk

I think that would work for commoners and so on (elite guards would probably be not in such a relaxed situation :)

Poses the question of "the right balcony/fence/wall height", but at least one animation for one height is better than none :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

That would be cool. I wonder what happens if you BJ a guard leaning on the balcony: will he fall to his death? The difficulty is to know which is the height he leans on to. Waist level? The mapper needs to carefully design all balconies on which the guards will lean.

Urinating guards would also make wondrous RIT behavior: you always need to go do your needs in a dark corridor and the activity takes a while providing stealth KO possibility or alternatively the possibility to sneak past him. I'm currently emulating this in my WIP with: go to dark corner, "stand on toes" anim, wait few secs, "adjust belt" anim, stop and go about your business. But yeah, the real deal with sounds (purling and even a sigh of relief) would be the best.

"I'll piss where I wanna piss.." ^_^

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

At the start of this video, after about 30 seconds or so he leans on a railing and peers across/down:

I can't find it anywhere.

It certainly could work in theory but the pathnode would have to be very carefully placed to look good.

Urinating guards would also make wondrous RIT behavior:

I have a half-finished version somewhere, but I've been too busy with sounds recently to do any animating.

I can't find it anywhere.

Ooops sorry, I posted the wrong video - honest mistake! (at least it wasn't a pron movie :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vNTeiJzzQGk

It certainly could work in theory but the pathnode would have to be very carefully placed to look good.

Yeah, but its the same with looking at paintings etc. So I think this isn't that much of a problem (path nodes need to be placed carefully most of the time). Besides, just like with the relighting, maybe wehave some day automatic path nodes (like "if you are near here, you can stand anywhere in this area, look in this direction and play this animation"). Then you could place a rectangular block on the balcony, and the AI knows what it can do.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Yeah, but its the same with looking at paintings etc

Not quite the same thing. It doesn't matter if the person staring at the painting is one foot or four feet away (as long as their gaze is in the right direction), but the difference of one foot would make a lean animation pretty silly. I'm not saying it can't be done, though. It's a shame we don't have more people around who can do animations like this.

Not quite the same thing. It doesn't matter if the person staring at the painting is one foot or four feet away (as long as their gaze is in the right direction), but the difference of one foot would make a lean animation pretty silly. I'm not saying it can't be done, though. It's a shame we don't have more people around who can do animations like this.

Yeah, I get what you say - the point is, tho, once the animation exists, mappers need a minute or maybe 10 to place the path node - but w/o animation, it is impossible for 99.9% of mappers even if they spent 5 hours :)

And yes, it is a shame that we have not more animators. :blink:

"STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!"

Goodby! hahaha!

And yes, it is a shame that we have not more animators. :blink:

I've said it before but I'll say it again. Make a post on Polycount and Moddb (both in the TDM article and job section) saying that you need animators and you might have some luck, instead of just complaining about not having any animators. I realize that I sound a bit harsh, but as we've seen in the past waiting around for animators just doesn't work so we'll have to seek them out instead.

Noss, this isn't exactly a new problem. We've advertised for animators for years. Sometimes, we'd get one or two to show up. Rarely, one of them would stick around long enough to actually do some animations. Sometimes those animations were even good enough to use.

If you know of somewhere special to canvas for animators, feel free.

Noss, this isn't exactly a new problem. We've advertised for animators for years. Sometimes, we'd get one or two to show up. Rarely, one of them would stick around long enough to actually do some animations. Sometimes those animations were even good enough to use.

Alright, I haven't heard a lot about any advertisement so I weren't sure there any interest in that.

If you know of somewhere special to canvas for animators, feel free.

I can think of several places where there might be interest:

- ModDB (TDM article and job-section)

- Polycount

- CGSociety

- BlenderArtists (a lot of n00bs but there might be some talent there)

With some quick googling I found these two animation specific forums as well:

- Animation World Network

- Animatonforum.net

I guess I could try to post at some of the first ones (not ModDB as I don't have access to that).

Noss, that sounds like a plan. It might also be better to have a specific task like "create an animation that does X", instead of asking for someone to show up, talk to us, discuss for 2 weeks what she/he should do etc.

That way the animator can show us a mockup (with his tools etc) right away, and then we provide him with our data and he can convert/fine-tune it.

Noss, that sounds like a plan. It might also be better to have a specific task like "create an animation that does X", instead of asking for someone to show up, talk to us, discuss for 2 weeks what she/he should do etc.

That way the animator can show us a mockup (with his tools etc) right away, and then we provide him with our data and he can convert/fine-tune it.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. So what animations do we need that can be made right now (we need more than only the balustrade)? Or should we just wait until I'm finished with the zombie which might take some time?

They have to use our rig or the animation would be useless. And unless they can convert it to md5mesh themselves, it will need to be in a format that someone on the team can convert to md5mesh.