The Dark Mod Forums

Closest Game to Thief

Springheel

I would like to echo some suggestions here.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is worth playing just for the first hour or two of gameplay. There is sneaking - there are a couple of frustrating bits where you are shooting bad guys, but I stuck with it right up until it fell apart at the end and didn't regret it.

Dark Messiah of Might And Magic: Absolutely amazing game - it is just missions in large levels, so don't worry about it being like Fallout. I have been saving it up for ages. I'm utterly rubbish at it. =-<

Arx Fatalis: I loved it when it came out but trying to replay it now all I see are the bugs, awful voice acting and difficulty. Definitely worth getting for a couple of quid to try out.

Bloodlines is great, there are fan patches to iron out the bugs and add quests back in that were cut. You can choose to play disfigured Nosferatu, who HAVE to sneak everywhere in the sewers to avoid causing a scene!

Hitman Blood Money I think is a must play. Once you get the hang of it, like Thief, you get out of the FPS mindset and start thinking about how to do things without causing a scene, Was worth playing for me, just for the 3rd level, after a successful hit, calmy striding out of a crowded area, picking up my sniper rifle in a briefcase - as horrified crowds rush to the scene of the "accident".

Deus Ex: HR does have viable stealth, you can go the whole game sneaking and knocking guys out. Likewise the original DE, you can play that killing only 3 bosses throughout. Good old electric prod. =D

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

You don't have to kill anyone in Deus Ex.

ANYONE!!!*

In fact, it's the best way to see some 'hidden' dialogs in the game (the other best way being saving all the people you can, which are about 3 or 4 IIRC).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsh24FmYlNQ

**Even if it looks like a bug, It has a bit of additional text with Gunther later on the cathedral - it was probably a cut possibility - though it IS possible to knock her out (but very very hard). ***

*** you actually 'kill' npcs when the missile you need to launch into area 51 hits. Annoying but probably at that time they were screaming 'SHIP IT' on the meetings.

Edited by i30817

sorry to repeat myself, but have you seen this?

http://arx-libertatis.org/

It fixed 'technical' bugs, but not the scripts bugs. Yet. Compare with the Bloodlines Unofficial patch/Circle of 8 for ToEE, which fix most script bugs but can't do anything about the fucked up exe bugs

I wish one of these rpg projects (gemrb, arx libertatis, openmw, daggerXL) evolves into a scummvm/residual like with a large team. Bloodlines and ToEE really need it.

Edited by i30817

So, did the Arx Libertatis team fix the Thief appoarch in the game that was criticized in one of the posts above?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I'd recommend Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. Although it's not technically a pure stealth game, the game-play is flexible so you can shape your game experience into a stealth, thief-like experience plus, it's a pretty good all around game.

Edited by Jetrell