The Dark Mod Forums

Firefox: How do I disable javascript for a single website?

Fidcal

firefox 13.0.1

tools/options

content tab

remove tick from enable JavaScript

there used to be a extra option here to add sites you dont want javascript to run on but it got removed, dont know why. I used to have loads of sites listed.

OK, thank. This explains why I couldn't find the option - Firefox doesn't have one included. I've downloaded noscript and had a quick look. I can't immediately see a way to reverse it to block a black list instead of giving permissions to a white list but I'll check it out more thoroughly later.

I've downloaded noscript and had a quick look. I can't immediately see a way to reverse it to block a black list instead of giving permissions to a white list but I'll check it out more thoroughly later.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/yesscript/

OK, thank. This explains why I couldn't find the option - Firefox doesn't have one included. I've downloaded noscript and had a quick look. I can't immediately see a way to reverse it to block a black list instead of giving permissions to a white list but I'll check it out more thoroughly later.

Trust me, you really want NoScript and the whitelist model. The attack vector isn't script from a single website, it is script coming from an image that looks like an image but is really a script embedded into an iframe that is embedded into an iframe that was embedded into a frame delivered from an adserver embedded into a high-level normal website. Like say the Guardian, the Washington post or slashdot.

Just install noscript, and whiteliste a few of the common scripts like gstatic.com (google), youtube etc. Then browse the web and you will see how much garbage evey website loads from all over the planat.

(It also helps to install AdBlock Plus - this reduces the number of "inlined ads" quite a lot, which also means it greatly reduces the risk that one of the adservers is infected and spewing malware).

The current webmodel is akin to you welcoming the pizza man at your door and leatting him into your hallway so you can get the pizza and give him the money, and then an unknown number of unknown-to-you (and the pizza-delivery-man!) people (or hopefully people..) trail behind him, having adverts on their t-shirt,. Then randomyl some of them try to access the rest of your apartment and rummage through your stuff, or outright steal it, or open a backdoor for later access. All just so you think that you would save .10 cent on the pizza while in reality you pay more for other pruducts because the entire advert-people-scheme is paid by you when buying other stuff. It is all quite insane and I don't understand how humankind can put up with such a scheme.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax