The Dark Mod Forums

Blackmesa: its out!

Bikerdude

The much anticipated mod for Half-life 2 is now out folks, download from the following mirrors -

Direct Download:

- Chip.de - (working and fast, Im getting 1.8MB/s)

- Shacknews - (working but very slow, only getting 200kb/s)

- Gamefront - (will update when its listed)

- MaxCDN - (this link isnt working, probably overloaded)

- Torrent - (this link isnt working, probably overloaded)

Torrents:

- multiupload

You'll also need to Source SDK, which the steam client will auto download, but in case it dosent - link

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, now I have to buy HL2 :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Great, now I have to buy HL2

You can get HalfLife 2, episode 1, Episode 2, Portal and TeamForetress (althought I personally thing TF is a waste of time) in whats known as the orange box. But, don't what ever you do buy it from steam as they will charge way more than its worth, the cheeky cnuts wants £14.99 for it.

you can get a copy of the orange box for £8 online -

- game.co.uk

- amazon.co.uk

All you need is the Steam client and the Source SDK (which the client will download automatically and both of which are free.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Another Mirror: http://www.chip.de/d...a_57528457.html (1.2 MB/s)

@Tels: Source SDK 2007 is enough to play.

Never heard of that and it looks like you need Steam for it?

Looking at the box shots it looks the same, that one for €11.99 looks is the closest to the UK price.

Hah, just read this in the reviews:

Aber jetzt zur Schattenseite:

Erstens sollte man DIESE Version der Orange Box NICHT KAUFEN, da sie sehr geschnitten ist (Blut ist grau, Leichen verschwinden sofort).

Besser man besorgt sich die Box aus Amerika bzw. England, die sind ungeschnitten (und man kann sie in STEAM auf deutsch stellen :))

Now to the bad part:

First: Don't buy THIS version. It is cut (blood is grey, bodies vanish immidiately).

Better buy the box from US or UK, these are uncut (and you can then use "German" in Steam)

Seems the UK import might be better.

Now I just need lots of free time to play, and I don't have that :(

So assuming I have the Orange Box and Steam installed, do I just download this thing and it will install?

Actually, what's even more important -- is there a download app like for TDM? I am on a fairly unstable connection. "only getting 200kb/s", I wish!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Never heard of that and it looks like you need Steam for it?

You will need the Steam client to play Halflife2, then after you have got your copy of the orange box delivered just activate the CD key via your steam client.

• So assuming I have the Orange Box and Steam installed, do I just download this thing and it will install?
  • Actually, what's even more important -- is there a download app like for TDM? I am on a fairly unstable connection. "only getting 200kb/s", I wish!

yes, once the blackmesa download is down you just extract it to the "steam>steamapps>sourcemods" folder.

All you need is the Steam client and the Source SDK (which the client will download automatically and both of which are free.

You will need the Steam client to play Halflife2, then after you have got your copy of the orange box delivered just activate the CD key via your steam client.

Ah, here is why I can't play this :)

Maybe next year.

Ah, here is why I can't play this :)

Maybe next year.

The wiki says you only need the SDK on Steam. The orange box isn't necessarily needed:

The only requirement to play Black Mesa is to have Source SDK Base 2007 installed on Steam. If you don't have it installed when you try to launch Black Mesa, Steam will download it for you [3]. For more details, see the full list of System Requirements.

http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/General_FAQ#Which_version_of_Source_will_be_used_in_the_Mod.3F

Full installation guide:

http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/System_Requirements

Torrent: http://www.multiupload.at/30GRPTLZCH

For best persormance, add the following trackers:

http://www.gameupdates.org/announce.php

http://fr33dom.h33t.com:3310/announce

udp://fr33domtracker.h33t.com:3310/announce

udp://tracker.istole.it:6969

udp://tracker.istole.it:80

udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announce

udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80

udp://tracker.ccc.de:80

http://exodus.desync.com:6969/announce

http://exodus.desync.com/announce

udp://tracker.1337x.org:80/announce

udp://10.rarbg.com/announce

udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80

http://announce.torrentsmd.com:8080/announce.php

http://retracker.nn.ertelecom.ru/announce

udp://tracker.istole.it:80/announce

udp://fr33domtracker.h33t.com:3310/announce

udp://11.rarbg.com/announce

udp://9.rarbg.com:2710/announce

udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80/announce

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Ah, here is why I can't play this Maybe next year.
The wiki says you only need the SDK on Steam. The orange box isn't necessarily needed:

Ah ok, that didnt occure to me. I just assumed it would require Halflife etc.

Thats awesome then, all you need is the Steam client and the Source SDK both of which are free!

Yes, that was the whole point. Back Mesa Source was designed to be free to play (not Free2Play) for everyone.

It seems it does not run with Linux yet?

You mean, WINE cannot play it? I was quite sure it can play Half-Life 2, which uses the same engine as Black Mesa.

EDIT: Apparently, it can.

Edited by 7upMan

I read on the black mesa page that it only supports Windows, maybe just nobody has tried it yet. In any event, I probably need to upgrade my PC first, plus Steam comes to Linux somewhere later, anyway. Plenty of time to play it later. :)

I was unable to cimb up .

I Under stated just how totally and utterly useless the jumping and climbing is, its even worse than HL2. For the love of all things holy, I cant even fucking jump over a chair, or onto a pipe that I clearly need to be able to to get across the huge drop in front of me..

You'd think they would have fixed something as basic as this? I was forced to noclip untill I read on thier forum you have the crouch-jump... for the love of....

Yes, I was craving TDM quality mantling for a number of those "crouch jump" areas. If I knew you could noclip

in Source games I would've done it... hmm...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)