The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod and crowdfunding?

bad marine ass

Yep.

It's amusing how this idea almost always comes from the outside, and the people firmly saying they want nothing to do with money are the people doing the majority of the work on the mod (with one notable exception).

I don't get why a rather talented artist who sells portraits on his website doesn't entertain the idea of making some residual money on digital creations.....and why a drawing is worth so much more than a big mission like A Score to Settle? The very mission that made me see the sheer potential of TDM as a commercial quality game...

How many hours went into each project? Portraits for $80, but you want nothing for a well written and designed mission that probably took far longer to make?

"If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth...but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And stop saying you ain't where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody!" -Rocky Balboa

Taurus philosophy:

Give me a hammer and tell me I have 6 hours to break up a 2 inch thick layer of ice. As soon as you walk away I'm going to use some hot water and salt so I can take a nap for the remaining 5 and a half hours. Taureans hate wasting energy and if there's a more efficient way to do something they will find it.

Tels pretty much hit the nail on the head with his post. The engine belongs to everyone. I'm backing off at the moment to pursue another creative endeavor. All the crap I've been through in the past year and a half have rattled around in my brain for a while and have solidified into a play that I am writing. I barely scratched the surface when I told you all about the situation me and my fiancé are in. We just returned from another trip to the hospital.

When we first met, she was addicted to painkillers because of fibromyalga pain. She went into detox last November and they put her on methadone. The battle with the doctors began. She started losing weight and her thoughts began to race. Doctors said she was anorexic and were slowly forcing her towards going to an eating disorders hospital. She wouldn't go, insisting that she wasn't anorexic and that something else was wrong. After nearly a year of this, we finally found out she was allergic to the methodone. That is what had been killing her. She switched to suboxone, which made her nauseous, and led to an ER trip for dehydration. They sent her home with a medication for nausea and for a few weeks it worked. Then she got a bad migraine, a chest cold, and the med stopped working. We went into the ER again last weekend and found out that the dehydration was causing the lithium she had been taking to build up to toxic levels. They flushed her out over three days and we've been taking it easy.

I'm telling you all this to give you an idea about why I'm so adamant about turning my ideas into a commercial project. I'm not out to steal anyone's work and claim it as mine. The Thief community and this project have inspired me to write up my own game, and the story of ID software gave me a relatively low budget way to market and sell it. It's like the wine analogy Tels made. A separate commercial project working hand in hand with the open source community that spawned it. I want to start putting people to work, rebuilding an economy that has been lied to as the large businesses closed up and moved away. I simply cannot afford to put all my energy and time into a game that I'm not making any money with. I don't really have a choice. There are no jobs here. Just lots of empty factories and dreamers like me with the vision to create and sell a new product to people elsewhere. The politicians here like to talk a lot about fixing the economy and education system, but I see a way to actually do it.

So you can see me as an enemy if you wish, but understand that I'm doing this for the good of a great many. You guys say you don't have the manpower for certain things. I've got a lot of unemployed people who need jobs....

The Dark Mod and it's story will be featured in the third act of the play as the pinnacle of my journey from frustrated pizza deliveryman to independent game designer without spending a single dollar on college. It's a main storyline that parallels my fiancé's journey through addiction and recovery. We made that journey together and are ready to share our inspiring story with the world.

I'll post a video of our proposal in the off topic forum.

Taurus philosophy:

Give me a hammer and tell me I have 6 hours to break up a 2 inch thick layer of ice. As soon as you walk away I'm going to use some hot water and salt so I can take a nap for the remaining 5 and a half hours. Taureans hate wasting energy and if there's a more efficient way to do something they will find it.