The Dark Mod Forums

Released missions stats:

Bikerdude

I'm a bit curious about the fact that many people are bothering that there are so few TDM missions. But looking at these stats we had more missions last year then T1 and TDS together. And even T2 had not much more than "only" double as much as TDM. I'm not really into the Thief mapping community, but as far as I get it they have a much higher number of mappers so I would say that nine missions is pretty much. Especially if one takes into consideration that the core team (and therefore the most experienced people) is mainly involved in replacing D3 assets for standalone and working on The Crucible of Omens campaign. (And Bikerdude polishing up his maps ;) and increasing performance on several other maps, including mine)

Edited by Obsttorte

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

In Bikers post there are nine.

EDIT: Just checked thedarkmod.com. Nine is correct.

Edited by Obsttorte

With the exception of Shadowhide (I may be wrong) but all the authors of those FMs have not released any FMs for any of the Thief games. I think TDM has a better chance of attracting people who have never mapped before (like myself) instead of expecting people who map for T2 to move over to TDM and at the moment there are more people mapping for T2.

Simply put as long as the T2 mapping scene is alive there is little incentive to start from scratch and learn how to use a completely different level editor all over again. Of course their are exceptions such as Melan. Standalone will hopefully attract new players and mappers. But the way I see it T2 will always have more FMs than TDM.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

It is also about Quantity vs. Quality. The T2 FMs can have higher quality than TDM missions – or not. What matters is, that players have enough unplayed high-quality missions to keep them happy.

Do we have some overall stats over the years? I'm still amazed there are stil FMs for TDS made, and not one, but even 6 in one year!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Here it is in chart form:

There were altogether 40 FMs in the entire year (not counting campaigns), while in 2010, there were 38 FMs for T2 alone (and 26 for TDM). No matter how we count these stats, they are not good for anyone.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Here it is in chart form:

There were altogether 40 FMs in the entire year (not counting campaigns), while in 2010, there were 38 FMs for T2 alone (and 26 for TDM). No matter how we count these stats, they are not good for anyone.

Only if you care about the "number of FMs released" stat. As I said, FM quantity is not everything...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I think there's some room for optimism given that this year saw the release of our strongest FM so far.

Would be nice to see some more speed-builds like Fauchard though, to boost the numbers a bit.

That's what I was trying to do before... uh... got hit by RL work, which kinda took over my life. Once I am free again, however, there will be time to return to these projects and finish them up for release. There are also bits of the campaign which have been cut for the time being (or never really added to a map), and may become separate releases with a relatively modest development time.

Generally, the best release pattern is a few large flagship missions with a constant flow of small and medium-sized projects. The latter play a very important role, and I personally like them very much for their replayability.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I hope to provide two missions this calendar year.

You are not the only one, although the focus lies on hope to me. After releasing Old Habits I immediately started working on my next map, but interrupted it due to real life stuff. I also have the contest mission I'm currently working on and my fingers are itching for trying a weekend modular speed build (just to see if that's possible :smile:). So I hope I can provide three new missions in the first half of the year.

And I have to fix Old Habits sometime :blush: