The Dark Mod Forums

O2 selling BB biz to Sky:

Bikerdude

Well like many others I returned home this evening to find an email in my inbox from O2 telling me the above and several things spring to mind -

1. Sky BB service is utterly shite from a reliability point of view, as rescently as January 2013 Sky have had to admit they over sold thier BB product in reference to speed on 16MB packages dropping to 0.8Mb etc.

2. Back in 2010 Sky were caught selling customer info to the Likes of ACS law who themselfs caught fabricating copyright infringement warning letters to innocent BB users.

3. I used to be a sky customer a few years ago, but dropped them due to thier customer support being abysmally shit. That and paying for channels I didn't actually need or want.

• So I had a quick look for other providers servicing my area and we have the like of BT, all of the above is applicable but they have been caught spying on thier users and continue to do so via DPI (Deep Package Inspection) and TS(Traffic shaping). And also have been caught feeding info in breach of the data protection act to the BPI (British Phonographic Industry)
  • Then we have virgin, who have been caught on point 2. and well I used to be an NTL customer back in the day and thats who Virgin BB essentially still are (same building, same fuckwits, different sign on the billboard) and they also use DPI/TS but have also been caught selling info to the BPI.
  • So put the above aside we have plusnet, that company with the idiotic/painfully aggravating TV ad, yeah them! They sell the same packages as BT but cheaper, but after a little searching I find they use DPI/TS. Plusnet say they wont have over user info without a court order, but this remains to be seen.

So what am I left with, a bunch of untrustworthy, moneygrabbing ISP's and this is they was its going to be from now on, just deal with it. Or is it possible there are still some ethical ISPs out there..?

:-/

I had some bad experiences with ISPs including PlusNet and others. Eventually I searched around for what appeared to be a reliable ISP: Madasafish only to find out after a year or so that PlusNet had (I thought at that time) take it over covertly. I now think in fact that Madasafish was always a rebadged subsidiary toy of PlusNet. Now, reading this thread, I did a little more searching and find they are both (along with many others) all owned by BT.

Resistance is futile. There is no escape. None of them can be trusted. It's all an effect of the nature of commerce which, being profit-driven, and given humankind's basically selfish nature, must be evil. There is no way out. The so-called free market system is inherently a bad process. It's probably the best system we can have right now but it maintains its balance like the law of the jungle - survival of the fittest. Billions of creatures suffer and are discarded daily for the benefit of the overall process. It works - but at a terrible price.