The Dark Mod Forums

Troubles with changing controls

Nico A.

Hi, I'm very new to The Dark Mod - I just played around a little in the training level. My hats off to everyone who have worked on this, it's great. Even more now when words can't express how disappointed I am what we see about Thief 4.

Although there are some minor things... for example, in the game I really want to run with "w" and go slowly with "shift+w". But I have tried every possibility in the menu to change that. It seems running somehow always requires the "shift" key. Am I missing something? What I think also lacks is the possibility in the menu to go back to default settings for the controls or even have some different premade controls settings (e.g. "Thief I style", "Thief II style", "Doom 3 style", ...).

Or did I just miss it somehow?

There isn't a "walk" though is there or is that just considered "forward". There's a "forward" and a "run"... so you're saying assign W to "run" and Shift to "forward" and you'll always run and when you press shift + W you'll walk? Seems like forward bound to Shift would just make you walk only pressing Shift. Not Shift+W.

Not sure as I haven't tested. Many interfaces use "run/walk" for Shift depending if you have the "always run" box ticked. That may be why he is confused.

Edited by Lux

There is something you can add to your config to turn "always run" on, and then holding shift will slow you to a walk. I just can't remember what it is (or figure out why you would want to always run in stealth game).

Thanks for your suggestions with the config files, although I don't know which files you are referring to. Are they in the darkmod or in the Doom 3 folder? And why should deleting a file help with changing controls? I feel stupid.

There isn't a "walk" though is there or is that just considered "forward". There's a "forward" and a "run"... so you're saying assign W to "run" and Shift to "forward" and you'll always run and when you press shift + W you'll walk? Seems like forward bound to Shift would just make you walk only pressing Shift. Not Shift+W.

Not sure as I haven't tested. Many interfaces use "run/walk" for Shift depending if you have the "always run" box ticked. That may be why he is confused.

The original setting is

forward = w

run = shift

which means that I can only run when I press w and shift together.

If I put it like this

forward = shift

run = w

I move forward when only pressing shift but don't move forward at all (let alone run) with w.

Now what I'd want is running with only pressing w and moving forward when pressing w and shift together. Somehow it just doesn't work.

Why would I want to have it like that in a stealth game? Well, mostly because I'm used to play in this way. I also played the first two Thief games this way and want to keep that experience in TDM. :P

Also, I feel uncomfortable knowing that I can't change the controls as I like.

Edited by Nico A.

This wiki page might help: http://wiki.thedarkm...ovement_Related

Here's the relevant part:

in_alwaysRun: If set to 1, causes the player to always run. (probably not useful in a stealth game)

You have to add that line to your darkmod.cfg

@Springheel, thanks for that! :)

Nico, you won't be deleting any files. You just need to add the line Springheel noted above, to your darkmod.cfg file.

Where ever your Darkmod directory folder is located, open it and you'll see the "darkmod.cfg" file in there.

If you have a shortcut to The Dark Mod on your desktop you can right click the shortcut and select properties. Then at the bottom left select the button that says, "open file location" and it will open your Darkmod directory.

Right click the Darkmod.cfg file and select "open with" or "edit".

If you select "open with" then scroll down the list and select "Notepad" and click "OK".

Then just add the line Springheel noted above.

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the file and place the cursor on a new line at the bottom and type this exactly or copy it and paste it in to the file:

seta in_alwaysRun "1"

Then save the file and you should have always run ON and when you press shift+W you should walk.

Edited by Lux

Fantastic! This works just fine. Thanks!

edit: @Lux: Didn't see your extensive answer at first. Thanks for explaining so thoroughly to a newbie! :D

Edited by Nico A.