The Dark Mod Forums

Fog error

Bridge

The other foglights don't seem to work (although I haven't tried every single one). It is perhaps significant though that among the error messages the console gives me upon loading the map, one of them is:

WARNING: Couldn't load image - _cookedmath

It is just z-fighting, extend fog light radius so it contain walls and floor (sky box should be out of fog radius or you will se perfectly clear sky). If fog don't suspend over whole map, there will be odd looking border from both sides, so you need to invent some visual distractions (semi transparent hanging vines, narrow corners so fog will be less dense on small distance).

S2wtMNl.gif

Thanks for the help. The z-fighting issue makes sense but I guess I just didn't consider fog boundaries to "have" textures so I tried to make the light area as small as possible to save space. I think it would be helpful to mention this in the wiki.

To use fog in an area adds even more planning because of these restrictions. I don't remember everything from the top of my head, but it's hard/impossible to joint the fog volumes which means for example if you have a house with sourrounding fog, you cannot create a fog free environment inside that house without some scripting and turning the foglight on/off as you enter the building.

One solution that occurs to me is to have two separate fog lights, let's call them A and B (A is the fog light that spans the entire yard and B is the relative complement of the house interior with respect to the yard - minus the southern rectangle adjacent to the house of course). When the player is outside, the only fog light visible to him would be A.

A brush serving as a trigger would be located in the doorway which would perform two actions: turning the visibility of A to false and the visibility of B to true or vice versa (which would allow the player to enter the house and leave at will, without the environment appearing to have changed. This way the yard would be covered in fog but the inside of the house (which we will assume is heated) would not upon entering. Since the player cannot see the southern rectangle I mentioned, if he stands in the door frame and looks out, it would appear to him that the yard was fully covered in fog.

It's just an addendum to Fieldmedic's suggestion (it didn't occur to me to use triggers to turn the fog light on or off) but that solution is incomplete since if the player entered the house and then stood in the doorway looking out the fog would have disappeared, right?

Is this viable? Or does it even make sense - I'm tired?

EDIT: Wouldn't work if there was a window on the southern wall though.

Edited by Bridge

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)