The Dark Mod Forums

Auto-lock doors?

Springheel

I have two AI enter a room through a locked door and start a conversation. They wouldn't stop and close the door before beginning the convo though, so I set the door to auto-close. Problem is, because the door closes by itself, it's no longer locked, and if the player opens it the AI immediately stop their conversation and search (it's a suspicious door). Is there way to have doors relock by themselves?

How about having the door trigger something when it closes?

That something would call a script function.

That script function would have the door execute its "Lock" function.

In normal operation, when an AI closes and locks the door, the door would trigger and call its "Lock" function, which would do nothing.

In your example, when the door auto-closes, the door would trigger and call its "Lock" function.

Or the conversation could trigger a script, so other door closings wouldn't autolock it (for example, after the player unlocks it).

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Why are they not locking it? Is the conversation too close to the door so that when they turn around to lock the door they're triggering the conversation which takes precedence?

I'm just curious what's causing the behavior, btw.

Yes, it seems like the trigger is starting the conversation before the AI is done with the door so he doesn't close it. The room isn't big enough to keep that from happening.

Untested, but is this a way to do it without using a script?

Door has "trigger_on_close" "1" and targets an atdm:target_callobjectfunction which has spawnarg "call" "Lock" and which targets the door.

EDIT: Oops, just realised this was grayman's suggestion.

Edited by SteveL

I know nothing about scripts...how do I trigger the door to change its locked spawnarg, instead of its open/closed state?

You can use the atdm:target_callobjectfunction for that. Place an atdm:target_callobjectfunction and give it two spawnargs:

"target" "name_of_door"

"call" "Lock"

Then to lock the door you can just activate/trigger the atdm:target_callobjectfunction, including from within the conversation using (*quickly checks wiki*) the ActivateTarget conversation option, with the name of the target_callobjectfunction as the parameter.

• Like 1

Then to lock the door you can just activate/trigger the atdm:target_callobjectfunction,

Hmm, this doesn't appear to be working for me. You can just target the atdm:target_callobjectfunction from a regular trigger?

Hmm, this doesn't appear to be working for me. You can just target the atdm:target_callobjectfunction from a regular trigger?

Didn't work for me either, and I also tried "lock", "Open" and "open" all unsuccessfully.

But! This did work, there's a atdm_target_changelockstate just below in targets. Set the "unlock" spawnarg to 0. (It causes the lock sound along with locking it.)

• Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Great that you found a workaround, but *why* doesn't the target_callobjectfunction work? Lock() is a documented scriptevent of binary frobmovers like doors. I did try running a test in my debugger before work but didn't get far enough. The debugger can't step through the idClass template code, so I need another breakpoint in the target's code so I can pick up the thread the other side. I'll try to answer this when I get back from my weekend trip.

But! This did work, there's a atdm_target_changelockstate just below in targets

Yes, this worked perfectly.

One thing I haven't had time to test...if I use one of these to change the state of a locked door to be unlocked, and an AI walks through it, will he lock it behind him? Or do they only relock "shouldbelocked" doors? Anyone happen to know?