The Dark Mod Forums

Shiny stuff?

SteveL

Is it possible to make shiny stuff in TDM? I'm making a contraption with moving bits ranging in size from 0.5 to 8 units, meant to be looked at very close up and it'll contain a couple of light sources. Ideally I'd like it to look like it's made of brass but dull metal would do if that's not possible. I'm a bit crap at texturing though and the best I've achieved so far is a kind of matt orange parchment look using metal/flat/brass01 at scale 0.5. I've tried looking at the metallic candle holders, which aren't shiny either but look better than anything I've made so far, but they're models and I can't work out what texture scale they are using.

Any suggestions that I can try?

There are three methods.

1) Specular map = all white

2) Cubemap reflection of typical room in mission

3) Use a real reflection (mirrorRenderMap)

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14680-how-to-make-material-reflective/

though I think that mirrorRenderMap is a bit buggy...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Do you mean shiny as in reflective, or shiny as in gleams in the light?

I've been working on loot textures recently, it so happens, and have been able to make some very rich, shiny gold textures by using a gl_dst_color, gl_src_color blend and coloured speculars. They're not reflective though.

post-9-0-76845000-1405633002_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks. I looked at the brass01 specular map and it uses scratched steel which is quite dark. Replacing that with _white in the material file seems to make it brighter when it faces the light, although I've still got the orange parchment instead of something that looks like smooth brass where it doesn't face the light. I guess this was too questionws: how best to achieve specular and what texture and scale looks good for shiny metal.

EDIT: That was @nboh1more.

Do you mean shiny as in reflective, or shiny as in gleams in the light?

Ideally, both. Those look great though. Are they really not reflective? They look reflective, as if lit by a light source behind the player.

You can play around with these values to make a new material shader:

diffusemap models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_teapot <--whatever metal texture appeals to you

{

blend gl_dst_color, gl_src_color

map models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_teapot_ed <-- the editor image (or diffusemap) of the same texture brightens bright area and darkens dark

}

bumpmap models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_teapot_local

specularmap models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_teapot_ed <-- same image really adds coloured shine to metal in light

Works best with metal that has a range of bright/dark areas...not sure it would work as well with something relatively flat.

Thank you! Those gold teapots on the left and the goblet are superb and look like exactly the effect I want, and I can try to find a bumpy texture that works well if flat doesn't do the trick. I'll start with the teapot and experiment from there. At least that should let me choose a realistic scale, which has been a stumbling block so far. I already know how big a teapot is, and that texture atlas is approx 1 teapot tall :)

There are three methods.

1) Specular map = all white

2) Cubemap reflection of typical room in mission

3) Use a real reflection (mirrorRenderMap)

http://forums.thedar...ial-reflective/

though I think that mirrorRenderMap is a bit buggy...

You can also fake the reflection. Some glass materials written by tels use this method.

@Springheel: Nice looking loot there, although the beggar seems a bit out of place :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

@Springheel: Nice looking loot there, although the beggar seems a bit out of place

:laugh:

Could be a fence. Or a deaf-mute sentry guarding the fence's recent stash (see: Les Vampires, EP3). Or...

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved