The Dark Mod Forums

Compiled LLVMpipe/Softpipe for Windows

lowenz

Right. We would need to ship uncompressed versions of all our textures. I think we had a package like that a long time ago but it would

be quite a project to scrounge all the textures in our repositories for the originals and some were donated pre-compressed so we would need

to convert them back to uncompressed formats.

No chance of adding S3TC to llvm soft-pipe?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

No: https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/S3TC/

S3TC support has been partially implemented in Mesa. We cannot integrate and enable S3TC code by default due to the patents on the algorithm. Because of this, to be cautious, code was integrated to only attempt to open an external library, libtxc_dxtn.so, and use a small number of functions from that to implement S3TC if available. There is also an option in the S3TC-supporting DRI drivers called force_s3tc_enable. If the library is unavailable, setting this option to true will expose the extension even though it cannot be fully implemented. This may be of use for some games which require S3TC or don't use the ARB_texture_compression extension correctly.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 4 weeks later...

RTCW (with widescreen patch :D ) @16 FPS!

See: GPU 0%

Wolf_SP_2016_09_12_22_26_42_263.png

Nice, REALLY NICE, improvements with lastest version:

16->28 ! (if only we could use LLVM 3.9 but we are stuck to 3.7.1 due to the missing LLVMipa in 3.9!)

Wolf_SP_2016_10_10_11_19_42_400.png

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

And Unreal (OpenGL 2.1 unofficial patch, 1280x960) @50 FPS (!!!)

It's outstanding! (the renderer is recent)

Unreal_2016_10_10_12_25_24_157.png

Edited by lowenz

Quake 2 with R1Q2 renderer (original one is wrapping-protected!)

r1q2_2016_10_15_15_43_53_124.png

If only they could add the S3TC support and a form of Anisotropic Filtering we're good to go :D OpenGL 1.x and 2.x unbound (NVidia, AMD and Intel :P )

Edited by lowenz

• 2 months later...

If you're interested here's the lastest binaries build by MSYS2 project :)

32 bit OpenGL32.dll -> https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/files/REPOS/MINGW/i686/mingw-w64-i686-mesa-13.0.2-1-any.pkg.tar.xz/download

64 bit OpenGL32.dll -> https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/files/REPOS/MINGW/x86_64/mingw-w64-x86_64-mesa-13.0.2-1-any.pkg.tar.xz/download

Just extract the DLL and drop it in the main-exe dir of your OpenGL application.

Edited by lowenz

• 1 month later...

If you're interested Mesa dev removed the LLVM 3.7 dependencies and now you can compile LLVMpipe with the shining new LLVM 3.9.1/4.0! :D

And with Mesa 17 the performance goes up again, 60 FPS in Unreal+OpenGL 2.1:

image.jpg

Edited by lowenz

• 5 weeks later...

64 bit for old OpenGL games/engines is a non-sense. There's no old 64 bit OGL application (the first is Rage64) :D

Use normal 32 bit instead.

Edited by lowenz

Its not only for old games i have intel gma with ofical 1.1 OpenGL only i need recompiled Mesa 3D 17.0.0 for windows 32/64bit any of them will be good.

But i can't handle to compile it myself, can you upload it for me somwhere?

I don't have a 64 bit OpenGL application installed to test the result of the build process!

Edited by lowenz

13.0.4 performance level is the same of 17.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/files/REPOS/MINGW/i686/mingw-w64-i686-mesa-13.0.4-1-any.pkg.tar.xz/download

Edited by lowenz

• 3 weeks later...

Found a S3TC standard implementation in CygWin archive.

In theory mesa opengl32.dll + dxtn.dll = complete S3TC support in OpenGL 2.1

• Like 1

Found a S3TC standard implementation in CygWin archive.

In theory mesa opengl32.dll + dxtn.dll = complete S3TC support in OpenGL 2.1

Unfortunately Mesa codebase makes clear distinction between Cygwin and Win32. Additionally libtxc_dxtn source code does not include a sconscript so Visual Studio is not an option. The only option left is Msys2 cross-compilation and with this, things go bad,

Compilation fails.

$ make
  CC     txc_compress_dxtn.lo
txc_compress_dxtn.c: In function 'storedxtencodedblock':
txc_compress_dxtn.c:287:16: error: 'GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
    if (type == GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT || type == GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT1_EXT) {
                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
txc_compress_dxtn.c:287:16: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
txc_compress_dxtn.c:287:59: error: 'GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT1_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
    if (type == GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT || type == GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT1_EXT) {
                                                           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
txc_compress_dxtn.c: In function 'encodedxtcolorblockfaster':
txc_compress_dxtn.c:376:23: error: 'GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT1_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
          if ((type != GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT1_EXT) || (srccolors[j][i][3] > ALPHACUT)) {
txc_compress_dxtn.c: In function 'tx_compress_dxtn':
txc_compress_dxtn.c:769:9: error: 'GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
    case GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT:
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
txc_compress_dxtn.c:770:9: error: 'GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT1_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
    case GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT1_EXT:
txc_compress_dxtn.c:790:9: error: 'GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT3_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
    case GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT3_EXT:
txc_compress_dxtn.c:817:9: error: 'GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT5_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
    case GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT5_EXT:
make: *** [Makefile:328: txc_compress_dxtn.lo] Error 1

prodea2@DESKTOP-H4RKMNR MINGW64 /home/s3tc
$

Edited by pal1000

Me and another guy we found a dxtn.dll working with Mesa as you can see in the screenshot.

The main problem is the performance now.