The Dark Mod Forums

Hypothetical Crossover Politics

Kurshok

So, in the original Thief series, magic is highly regulated, there is only one ruling sanctioned church of one god which is pretty controlling and brutish, and nonhumans are killed on sight as monsters. So, how badly would things go south if the Thief world was a small chain of islands near Tamriel in The Elder Scrolls, and they encountered Empire explorers? Would it kick off a brutal genocide and conquering of the main continent by the more advanced City? Or would the advanced magic of The Empire's citizens result in the City becoming a vassal of the Empire?

If the City and Tamriel are in the same world, there's all sorts of questions you'd have to answer before you get to that question. I like to think that both Thief's City empire and TDM's empire both should be about as large as Tamriel (we don't often refer to how big our empire is in most FMs or refer to other distant parts of it, but we allude to it in maps and texts, and I think we should be referring to it more often.)  In that respect, I think they'd be evenly matched. But I don't know the history of the City and its world well, so this mostly applies to our empire. 

On that note, why don't you frame this question in terms of our own universe?

The Empire of Bridgeport & Sancta Civitas forbids magic, and the neighboring Menoans arguably openly allow magic. So that's the equivalent of your question in our world. And the answer is there have been a long history of wars between the two empires, with magic and religion often being a central point in the conflict, and the borderlands have been part of both empires.

The campaign I scripted for TDM is set during one of these wars during a Menoan siege of Bridgeport. Long story short, our Empire survives, but it's internally rattled. 

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

5 minutes ago, demagogue said:

If the City and Tamriel are in the same world, there's all sorts of questions you'd have to answer before you get to that question. I like to think that both Thief's City empire and TDM's empire both should be about as large as Tamriel (we don't often refer to how big our empire is in most FMs or refer to other distant parts of it, but we allude to it in maps and texts, and I think we should be referring to it more often.)  In that respect, I think they'd be evenly matched. But I don't know the history of the City and its world well, so this mostly applies to our empire. 

On that note, why don't you frame this question in terms of our own universe?

The Empire of Bridgeport & Sancta Civitas forbids magic, and the neighboring Menoans arguably openly allow magic. So that's the equivalent of your question in our world. And the answer is there have been a long history of wars between the two empires, with magic and religion often being a central point in the conflict, and the borderlands have been part of both empires.

The campaign I scripted for TDM is set during one of these wars during a Menoan siege of Bridgeport. Long story short, our Empire survives, but it's internally rattled. 

Hello dema,

My next mission will include a library and I am currently collecting text for several books. Do you happen to have unneccessary history text you could provide me with?

I have a lot of bullet notes for texts. 

I think it'd be an interesting project to write some of them up into histories for a library. I think for an FM library, we're talking about an excerpt of a few pages standing in for the whole book. The catch is that I'm busy with a lot of other things going on too, so I don't know exactly when I'd get to it.

The other issue is that some of our history has already been developed in other FMs, and I'm not really up to date with what other FMs have developed. We ideally need a psycho fan that knows every detail from every readable in every FM to compile it all to add to the list. But anyway, absent that, I can give you some of the independent history I developed for my FM.

Oh a third issue is that my history was developed specifically for my campaign, which I also can't guarantee is consistent with the overarching canon... Originally my version of the Menoans was like the Arab/Ottoman equivalents, but it seems the canon interpretation is they're more like the Spanish and the moors to the south are the Arab/Ottoman equivalents. And I think I started to rewrite things from that perspective (replacing Menoa with the southern empire, I have to look up again what name I came up with them, something like Ghazali?), but then that also raised the question of who are the Menoans then anyway, and I had ideas, well if they're like the Spain equivalent, then maybe they'd also been occupied for a long period by the Ghazali. What I mean to say is there are lots of issues like that where basic questions about our world and history have to be answered one way or another that could have big implications.

Maybe I can put some texts together and we can have a community discussion about it. That might be a fun kind of fan thing for us to do, if people actually got into it. 

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I too think regulated is the right word.

The thief world is full of extremely dangerous magic and the keepers are here to keep the balance.

Spoiler

We had demons opening portals into hell... Weirdo women turning into giant trees... A hag that is super old and so smart that she became invincible.

I think the thief world stinks of magic, like its literally everywhere.

The people that use this magic are very smart, highly strategic and super confident.
This might be a knowledge thing, people generally know it exists but they are beeing protected.

Its a dangerous setup that could suffer from "Too much information".

• Like 1

Can we have more scary Zombie Horror maps?

1 hour ago, demagogue said:

Oh a third issue is that my history was developed specifically for my campaign, which I also can't guarantee is consistent with the overarching canon... Originally my version of the Menoans was like the Arab/Ottoman equivalents, but it seems the canon interpretation is they're more like the Spanish and the moors to the south are the Arab/Ottoman equivalents. And I think I started to rewrite things from that perspective (replacing Menoa with the southern empire, I have to look up again what name I came up with them, something like Ghazali?), but then that also raised the question of who are the Menoans then anyway, and I had ideas, well if they're like the Spain equivalent, then maybe they'd also been occupied for a long period by the Ghazali. What I mean to say is there are lots of issues like that where basic questions about our world and history have to be answered one way or another that could have big implications.

Maybe I can put some texts together and we can have a community discussion about it. That might be a fun kind of fan thing for us to do, if people actually got into it. 

To be more specific:

I would like to set up an objective like "Find all four books describing the history of xxx" in my mission. 

The books then should include text that focusses on a certain event in the history. The books should then explain the facts scattered over several volumes. It is certainly not necessary for every book to contain walls of text.

Do you think you could do something like this for me? That would be great.

The library:

HHTLC_Library.thumb.jpg.2e01e655444fada00535793d0c122587.jpg

• Like 4