The Dark Mod Forums

Jedi Mod Moves To Quake 4

FliX

D3 is dead because that mod is switching from one D3 game to another? Interesting reasoning.

Since quake4 uses the same engine as doom3, just with some opts and custom work (vp's and scripts etc) thrown in it’s not really a big change is it? The fixes and changes to net code are patchable, as Id have always done ala quake 3 and 2

If you want massive multiplayer then the quake wars engine (Doom3 + mega texture + net code change) would be better, there the net code has (seemingly) been changed quite a bit from doom3 in quake 4 it hasn’t, sure it has more modes which can be modded easier than adding them in, but other than that its the same basic code base.

I cant see this being a big change and in all honesty It would probable be possible to backport your work from quake4 to doom3 and vice versa, though any custom code from quake4 you use would have to be rewritten or changed, just as some of blackcats ut mods work on ut2004 and 2003.

If your team feels the need to change great but I don’t see the big advantage in changing. If Im missing something please let me know.

Edited by Demigod

From what I've heard the biggest change they made to the netcode was switching from a perpixel hit detection system to an oldschool hitscan system since it doesn't eat up a fuckton of bandwidth and processor time and makes for a much smoother experience.

So if you're wanting to make an MP mod you'll defiantely want to go with Q4, for a singleplayer game there's really no advantage (as far as I know anyway).

HAY WAIT GUYS. MAYBE HE"S RITE.

Think about it: if we make the change to a game that doesn't exist yet, we have the following benefitz!!!!!

1. we get to wait till Q4 is out before starting conversion

2. we get some more futuristic special effectz!!

3. we can take our time becuz obviously games like DNF which keep switching game enginez have a huge following and can keep delaying becuz everyone wants it so bad! (read: drama and teasers!!)

3. a thief type of game needs more cyborgs and laserbeams and vehicles, lets face it.

4. it's the same game engine so we will have teh coolness of being 'current' while using same tech!! WHY NOT!

KK?

PS OMG STAR WARS AND LUCAS ARE TEH BEST