The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Presentation

BlackThief

Yes, that does look great. You will have to make your modeling more efficient though, if you want to get much done. I told you there was no need to mke the entire high poly door like that.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that does look great. You will have to make your modeling more efficient though, if you want to get much done. I told you there was no need to mke the entire high poly door like that.

I plan on it. Right now I'm more worried about practicing and getting comfortable with the editor, that's why I'm doing the whole door rather than bits and pieces.

Does D3 support JPG? I'm asking, because as I'm here downloading 4Mb textures, taking almost 20 mins each, it occurred to me to try compressing one as JPG. With PSP5, at just 10% compression ("Low compression, best quality" on the slider), the 4Mb TGA becomes a 177kb JPG. I have the textures both loaded and overlaid exactly, and am flipping between them and I see no appreciable difference at all.

Okay, so I'm in the stone age, using dialup. Regardless - hard drive space is also a consideration here. Is there any good reason we're using hyper-bloated TGA format?

Edited by SneaksieDave

Renz and I discussed the texture size issue one night. Perhaps we need to restructure and keep all of our hi res source textures on the ftp and swap in some slightly compressed textures. If there is that much of a difference and it's not noticable to the eye, I would say go for it. It will sure make downloading from CVS a lot lighter.

Okay, I just confirmed that yes JPG is accepted and works. And, looks exactly the same with this compression level. Give it a shot - 10%, by PSP or something of equal/better capability (I'm not sure about the algorithms used, etc, in other words) and the textures are identical*.

Also, even though this has already been stated elsewhere, I'll re-re-confirm it - Notepad definitely fucks up material (MTR) files. I did the simple edit to test the JPGs and got only black from the editor (sounds familiar!). So I went back and re-edited the original MTR with a hex editor (rather than try wordpad or DOS edit) and it worked perfect. Take note!

If the general consensus is not to go with compressed textures, I'm going to do mine locally anyway. It looks the same, and takes <10% of the space (although the download reduction would also help).

*Actual Difference = +/- 1% * OBF (Obstinate Bastard Factor)

Yet another door...

door4.jpg

BT, does renderbumpflat ever cut off the top edges of your normalmaps? You can't tell in this shot, but if you look at the top of the arch on the previous doorway you'll see that the very top suddenly terminates...that's because the normalmap just ends there for some weirdass reason, and I wanna know how to fix it so I can upload these soon.

And opposite of your cool texture, is the texture I spent about forever on and it ended up kinda....shallow.

grate_ingame.jpg

I would've made it deeper, but my vertex points kept getting weirded out when I tried to bevel it farther. I'll be playing around with it a little more, but right now I'm not too thrilled with the results...the thing barely looks normalmapped.

Actually I just had an idea...I'm gonna try and find a way to generate heightmaps off of models in lightwave. That might help with the depth.

• 3 weeks later...

just in case you're wondering - I'm still alive ;) however RL is pretty busy ATM, so I haven't got much time to work on textures and models.

tonight I found some time and made a wooden crate texture + modelled normalmap:

crate_textur.jpg

I'll do the challenging job of modelling the crate tomorrow, I'm too tired right now.